B and S Lawn Tractor Warm Start Problem

Old 08-19-09, 06:25 PM
B and S Lawn Tractor Warm Start Problem

I have a seven year old White Outdoor lawn tractor with a Briggs and Stratton 16 hp engine. I have never had a problem starting it until today.

It had been running to full operating temperature then I shut it off and tried restarting it about 15 minutes later. I cranked it for a long time once and then let it sit a couple of minutes. I cranked it again for a long time, only this time I pulled the choke briefly near the end. Neither time did it even attempt to fire.

Thinking I may have flooded it, I fetched my tools. (15 minutes passed as I got my tools.) I removed the spark plugs and saw that they were dry. I replaced the plugs and it started right up.

Ran the mower 10 minutes, shut it off for 15, and then when I tried starting it, it started fine.

Ran another 10 minutes, shut it off for 15, and then the next attempt to start it failed. I repeated the cranking/removing plugs/replacing plugs/starting fine just like described above.

As I said, I have never had any problems starting it at any other time, so I doubt it's anything like bad fuel and the air filter is fairly new.

Outside temperature about 76 degrees with very high humidity.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-09, 08:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check for spark immediately after it dies. I'm thinking you may have a bad coil.

Old 08-20-09, 03:13 PM
The engine doesn't actually "die." The problem is that it didn't start when it was warm.

Is it still likely that the coil is bad?

Old 08-21-09, 12:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When it doesn't start, check spark. If none, the coil is the likely culprit.

Search this Thread