Run on prime

Old 08-22-09, 06:26 AM
Run on prime

I have a B&S QUantum 5.5 on a lawnmover. THe engine will start and run only a few seconds. If you continue to push the prime bulb (continually) the engine will stay running. It's definately a fuel starve situation. I checked the gas cap vent hole ( ran with cap off). Not the problem. I need some help on how to blow out the carb? I was going to pull the fuel line and shoot some air in an attempt the clear the blockage.. It is a better option to spray some carb cleaner in the intake with is running? Can't find and adjustment or partial disassemble of the carb withoug removing the whole unit. I have also seen in some posts about changing a "plug". WHat is that? ANybody have a suggestion? JHook

Last edited by JHook; 08-22-09 at 07:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-09, 08:19 AM
The first step before cleaning your carb is to drain it. There is a bolt on the bottom of the bowl that hold the bowl on. you can take this off and drain out the gas, water and what ever else may be there. When you do this gas will becoming out you may want to pinch off the fuel line.

A "plug" is the spark plug. It screws in to the front of the engine and has a wire going to it. The wire will pull off and then the plug can be unscrewed.

Old 08-22-09, 08:19 AM
You need to remove the carb, take it apart, soak it in a carb cleaning solution. There is no way around it. No short cuts, no quick fixes, no miracles in a bottle. Your carb is dirty and needs a thoro cleaning.

Old 08-22-09, 09:51 AM
Thanks indypower. I drained the tank and cleaned the line. Dropped the bowl and flushed it out. I have it running now. Thanks for the help. It could use a good cleaning but I'll see if I can't finish out the seanson as is.