16 hp Kohler no spark

Old 08-27-09, 03:28 PM
16 hp Kohler no spark

My friend has a 16 hp Kohler Engine on a Sears tractor that has no spark. He changed the coil with a new one got no spark. Tried it without the ground connected to the coil and still no spark,any ideas.He has checked all safety switches they are all ok. But with the ground not hooked up he should get a spark.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-09, 03:35 PM
He probably has an igniter on that one and it is bad. It's a little square box affair on a lead coming from the coil.

Get the model and serial numbers off the engine and post them back. We'll check it out.

Old 08-27-09, 03:54 PM
What did he set the coil to flywheel magnet air gap to ?

Rotate the flywheel magnet away from the coil. loosen the two mounting screws then pull the coil away from the flywheel and just snug the two screws.

Rotate the flywheel magnet in front of the coil and insert any business card between the coil and magnet. Loosen the two screws and let the magnet pull the coil to the flywheel, Hold a slight pressure on the coil pushing it against the flywheel then tighten the screws. Rotate the flywheel to remove the business card......

Old 08-31-09, 08:58 PM
The gap on that motor for the ignition is likely .018-.020''.
Be sure it's set correctly. Points and condenser?? or electronic ignition??

Old 09-01-09, 12:33 PM
i get the impression that this has the cylindrical automotive style coil that`s on the older tractors.

it sounds as though the points are bad/out of adjustment.

Old 09-01-09, 07:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The fact that the testing is done with no grounding wire connected to the coil tells us it's an armature/coil type module like found on the kohler commands. I suspect this is a model CV16S. If so, then I suspect the coil air gap is incorrect (should be .010"), or the coil was mounted upside down. More info (engine model) would be a help.