Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

lawnmower/wontstart

08-30-09, 04:43 PM   #1  
lawnmower/wontstart

Hello I am new here I hope I followed the rule's, My name is kevin, I have a craftsman riding lawn Mower, I went over a bump & it shut down, I replaced the relay, the battery, the solanoid, the ignition, & still nothing, I jumped it, from the solinoid, it is turning over just no juice, any help will Be great, Thank yoo

Sponsored Links

FL

08-30-09, 06:26 PM   #2  
Well Kevin,

If you post the model numbers off the tractor along with the engine that may be helpful, In the meantime check the clutch/brake pedal safety switch and make sure it didn't come un-plugged when you hit that bump.

08-31-09, 06:37 AM   #3  
OK, Cratsman 16.5 Hp ohv, 6 speed/46inch cut

Model Number cu 165
spec number 43512
Guys I have checked every wire harness relay's that I can see, & not even a click when I turn, Nothin, ( is it possible the ignition I put in is a dud)? There is a switch under the seat I tried to reset that, some sort of saftey switch, I was thinkin when I hit the bump it sensed I got of the seat & shut down??? I am so Lost.. any help would be greatly apreciated.. Thank you Kevin

FL

08-31-09, 03:02 PM   #4  
OK Kevin, The mower model number is on a white sticker under the seat. It should go like 917.******

The clutch safety switch on most are out of sight, Under the left hand (sitting in seat) running board on the inside of the frame near the brake/clutch pedal.

This needs to be checked for being plugged in, If it is the switch still could be faulty and testing with a multimeter would determine it's fate.

Did you have the blades on when the machine quit ?

08-31-09, 04:41 PM   #5  
Posted By: 31YTech OK Kevin, The mower model number is on a white sticker under the seat. It should go like 917.******

The clutch safety switch on most are out of sight, Under the left hand (sitting in seat) running board on the inside of the frame near the brake/clutch pedal.

This needs to be checked for being plugged in, If it is the switch still could be faulty and testing with a multimeter would determine it's fate.

Did you have the blades on when the machine quit ?
NO! I had them up as I went over thta little bump, I am sorry I gave you the number off the motor I will go check now, & check for this switch, what is the switch under the seat for it has a little like reset button on it?? a sensor in case you get off while running it will shut down?

08-31-09, 05:06 PM   #6  
OK , 917.272.011 I looked for the that switch under the left & right weal weell board's & the step side running boaord's, I cant see nothing I apreciate you helping me

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-31-09, 06:05 PM   #7  
Check the fuse to see if it's blown. It's usually in a fuse holder inline with the smaller red wire coming from the battery terminal side of the solenoid.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

08-31-09, 06:16 PM   #8  
Posted By: cheese Check the fuse to see if it's blown. It's usually in a fuse holder inline with the smaller red wire coming from the battery terminal side of the solenoid.
I got 1 fuse coming from the terminal Tested Ok.

FL

08-31-09, 08:20 PM   #9  
Here is your unit, The switch in question is in red;

Even though it's shown above on the right hand side look below;

The button on the seat switch plug is a second switch, This seat switch plug connector must be pushed on the switch tightly for the second switch to function properly.

I keep going for the clutch switch because it's a two way switch, When the clutch is pushed it opens the safety system contact and closes the start system contacts so the engine will crank. You don't have to be in the seat to crank the engine as long as you keep the clutch pedal pushed.

Once the engine cranks and you let the clutch out while in the seat the start system contacts open and the safety system contacts close and activate, Now if you leave the seat the safety system will open and shut the engine off.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-31-09, 09:59 PM   #10  
Ok, I didn't see that it is in fact turning over the first time I read this. I just saw "no juice".

Did you check to see if it's sparking or not? I also suspect you have an electrical problem, but it wouldn't hurt to just check to be sure it's not firing.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

09-01-09, 08:44 AM   #11  
OK The switch I checked was closer to the left front wheel, it seems to go in to something in front of 1 of the puly's, I will put this baby in the air on jack stands & get to work this is realy bugging me, I can work on my 318 with ease, This thing is driving me Nuts LOl Thanx gentelmen we will keep pushing forward. Thanx again kevin, I will report back

Search this Thread