Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

12.5 hp B&S won't engage blades

08-30-09, 05:56 PM   #1  
12.5 hp B&S won't engage blades

I have a 12.5 hp B&S engine on my riding mower. It starts fine and turns off fine. When I engage the blades, the engine dies. There is a wire coming out of the engine. I disconnected it and the blades will engage without killing the engine, but turning the key to the off position does nothing and I have to choke the engine out or reach down and touch the wires together or to metal (to ground it) in order to stop the engine. How can I have this wire connected and still engage the blades?

Sponsored Links

FL

08-30-09, 06:35 PM   #2  
Without a tractor model number posted, There is a safety switch under the seat. If the connector is loose or the switch is faulty it will not detect you being in the seat and kill the engine when the deck is engaged.

The switch can be tested with a multimeter set on ohm's scale, Check for a opening/closing circuit as the switch is operated.

Good Luck

08-31-09, 01:57 PM   #3  
The tractor is a Toro Wheelhorse. My father purchased it at a yardsale. The motor doesn't look like it is what came with it and there seems to be several other modifications, the seat being one of those modifications, so that would explain it. At least now I have a better understanding of which direction to go in with this!

Thanks a bunch!

Search this Thread