Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Troy mower wont stay running.

NJ

09-08-09, 03:10 PM   #1  
Troy mower wont stay running.

So my mom no longer cuts her own grass so i went to pick up her mower. I coulnt get this thing to run on its own for anything. When i sent a little carb cleaner into the carb it would start up no problem. I then pulled off the carb and cleaned the whole thing out, it was pretty mucked up.

Put it back together and same thing. Doesnt want to start. I then go into pouring gassoline straight into the carb. Of course this got the mower running , and it continues to do so for about 15 minutes untill once again it died, and would not restart.

Sounds like im having a real issue getting fuel into the carb. I dont understand. The line from the tank to the carb is clear and everything seems find. Its like theres some weird vacuum issue not pulling fuel into the carb.

Anyone have a clue before i junk this thing and get a new one?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-08-09, 10:29 PM   #2  
It's still a carb issue. You may need to clean it out again. Pay close attention to the tiny holes in the bolt that holds the bowl on. Sounds like one of them is restricted.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

09-09-09, 04:31 AM   #3  
Hi,

I agree with Cheese.

Out of interest, after it dies, if you put gasoline into the carby again, does it start?

Other things I would also check are
* is the fuel tank cap venting properly?
* do you get any spark when you try to restart it?
* are the cooling fins clean so that the engine is not overheating?

Let us know how it goes.

Kind Regards
Al Bunzel

NJ

09-09-09, 02:48 PM   #4  
Yes, if i put some gas back into the carb after a few pulls it starts right back up .. run for a minute or two and shuts back down.

The cooling fins are fine. Not sure about the gas cap. I wont get to try it out again until a few weeks from now, i keep it at these cabins we own and wont be up there for awhile.

I did think about the gas cap though.. after it stalled one i tried starting it back up with the cap off and it would not start. Im not sure if that out rules the gas cap, or if the result would have been different if i would have poured some gas in the carb to get it started and then waited to see if it would stay running.

TN

09-09-09, 07:47 PM   #5  
Clean the carburetor and correct the problem. If you will post engine model number, etc. I may be able to give more specific help.

NJ

09-10-09, 02:51 PM   #6  
But i did clean the carb i though??? I took it off the engine, and took off the bowl and spreyed everything clean. Is there further disasembly needed??? I didnt see much more that could be taken apart. Ill get back with the model number in a week or two.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-10-09, 10:35 PM   #7  
There are tiny passages inside the carb that get blocked and sometimes simply spraying it off with carb cleaner doesn't get it clean. I don't know what you have, so I can't give much more detail. The carb needs cleaning.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NH

09-11-09, 10:48 AM   #8  
The ONLY way to properly clean a carb is to soak it for a couple hours in a carb cleaning solution, then rinse off and blow out everything with compressed air. Make sure you blow out EVERY hole in the carb. Also, make sure to disassemble the carb prior to soaking. (remove the float, needle & seat ). Also make sure you soak the main jet (the bolt that holds the float bowl on).
You said it was pretty well "mucked up". If what you could see was that way, so it what you can not see, which is all the internal passage ways. This is why you need to soak the carb.

NJ

09-13-09, 02:18 PM   #9  
cool, thanks guys, ill get back to you all about this in a few weeks when i get the chance to work on it again .. thats for all the help.

09-13-09, 02:34 PM   #10  
when your cleaning the carb and have it apart, make sure the float and needle valve are clear from not rubbing or binding on anything when you put the bowl back on.
it is gets caught up then no gas will enter the carb.

if you float has a hole in it gas will keep coming until it runs out of the sides and the tank is about empty.

is there an inline fuel filter? could be dirty as well
and restricting flow. or even a shut off valve in line that could be plugged. a filter on the bottom of the fuel tank ( a small screen) could be dirty as well.

check for all of these things while your at it incase they are there. if you clean the carb and then some of this other grime breaks loose then your back to square one. again.

Search this Thread