Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mantis Tiller won't till

09-09-09, 09:04 AM   #1  
Mantis Tiller won't till

I have a Mantis Tiller that I bought new about 6 years ago. I sent it to the mechanic because the tines were turning as soon as I started it. The mechanic replaced the carburator, and the tiller worked fine while in the air. However, when I got it home, I put the tiller in the soil, and it tilled fine until I got a bunch of tall grass jammed in the tines. I turned the tiller off to remove the grass, but then when I restarted it, the tiller wouldn't accelerate, and when it did, and it was put in the soil, the tines would stop turning and the tiller would try to die. Can you tell me what is wrong and how I can fix it?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

KS

09-09-09, 11:05 AM   #2  
Take it back to your mechanic and have him adjust the carb to run under load..explain just as you did here the problem and it should be a simple follow up with apologies for your time.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-09-09, 08:02 PM   #3  
Unless that grass got all wedged up between the tines and axle so badly that it's binding. Did you slide the tines back some to be sure nothing is wrapped around it near where the shaft comes out of the housing?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

09-22-09, 12:36 PM   #4  
I did pull the tines off and pulled all the long weeds/grasses out of it, but it didn't help. However, the noise it's making when I hit the accelerator sounds just like the noise it makes when I get something jammed in the tines and the tines can't turn. Is it possible that something got jammed deeper where I can't see it?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-22-09, 04:02 PM   #5  
It's possible, but you might want to check to be sure the gearbox isn't out of grease.

God bless!

MA

09-28-09, 12:29 PM   #6  
Same problem, but with a Troy mini-tiller

My Troy-bilt mini-tiller is doing the same thing - engine is a 2-stroke Tecumseh, starts fine (LOUD!!), but won't cut the mustard, if you will.
Bad carb, or a gearbox issue?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-29-09, 10:12 PM   #7  
Carb or gearbox? That depends on if it is running properly or not, or if the tines turn freely or not.

God bless!

MA

10-01-09, 11:40 AM   #8  
Tiller saga continues....

The little bugger cranks right over 1st pull ready to eat dirt, tines revolving nicely.
When I set it down on the ground, the tines stop. Poss. gears in the box worn out. Is it anything like a car differential in there?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-01-09, 09:06 PM   #9  
Sounds like a clutch issue unless you hear or feel gears jumping when it stops turning.

God bless!

MA

10-02-09, 08:35 AM   #10  
I just went outside and spun it up.
The tines seem to be meshing intermittently, leaves me feeling it's a worn gear in there. If the clutch was failing wouldn't the tines simply not spin?
At any rate, it's a winter workbench job; I'll pull it apart and see what's what. I'm sure that gears, etc. for this thing could be pricey enough to make a new electric one attractive.
Thank you, jerilowe, for the help.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-02-09, 11:05 PM   #11  
A slipping clutch would turn the tines until you put a load on it, just like a slipping clutch in a car...it will still spin the wheels with the car jacked up but not when you try to drive it. Could be gears too... it's one of those things that can't be diagnosed well over the internet.

God bless!

MA

10-03-09, 08:25 AM   #12  
1st off, Cheese; I meant to direct my thanks to you.
One final request, and that is: who/what's a good source for
parts for these critters.
And- many thanks again for the advice.
Jim in Dartmouth MA

Search this Thread