Gas Edger

Old 09-09-09, 10:34 AM
Gas Edger

Good Morning
I have an old sears craftsman gas edger that some one gave to me because they could not get it to run right. I want to get it running so I can start using it. When you start it up it will only run wide open throttle if you try to lower the speed it will die. I have tried to move the governor rod over a little but still have the same problem. It says craftsman eager 1 3.5 hp. I will assume that it has a Tecumseh engine but it does not say. I called sears and they can not even tell me if it is a Briggs or a Tecumseh (no surprise) the model number is 143.943503 any ideas or help I could get would be greatly appreciated as to what is making it run like it does.
Thanks
Gruss

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-09, 01:52 PM
Your engine is a H35-45654V. The first link below is the service manual for the engine. There is a conversion table in the back of the manual to convert Sears numbers to Tecumseh numbers.

I suspect your problem is related to the carburetor. I suggest you begin by cleaning the carburetor and seeing what affect it has.

Service manual:
http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

These links may help with cleaning the carburetor:
Tecumseh Carb Cleanup

SER FAQ: LMFAQ: Cleaning Craftsman (Tecumseh) carburetors

Old 09-10-09, 05:36 AM
Gas Edger

Good Morning Airman
Thanks for the help outstanding manual I sure can use it
Have a Great Day
gruss

Old 09-12-09, 07:49 PM
Gas Edger

Good Evening Airman
Well I cleaned the carb and put a new kit in it still have the same problem will only run at full throttle will not idle. I have several pictures of the governor rods and spring that I would like for you to take a look at but I be dammed it I can figure out how to attach them to these threads. Would you have another e-mail address where I could just attach the JPEG pics to. So simple with regular e-mail.
Have a Great Weekend
Russ

Old 09-13-09, 06:48 AM
I sent you a PM with my email address. I will be glad to look at your photos and see what I can offer.

I very much believe you have a carburetor problem. Please answer the following questions:

Can you identify the carburetor installed on your engine from the manual in the link?

Which series carburetor is it?

Does the carburetor on your engine have the high-speed mixture screw at the bottom of the bowl?

Refer to the manual in the link I provided. Does your carburetor match what is shown in Chapter 3, Page 18, Figure 33?

Old 09-19-09, 08:25 AM
Gas Edger

Good Morning Airman
Did you receive the pictures I sent you 09-13-09 ?
Russ

Old 09-19-09, 01:23 PM
Yes I recieved the photos. I replied to your email on Sep14. I am puzzled you did not get my email.

Here is what I said in my email:

The no idle problem I am sure is a carburetor problem. Get an inexpensive aerosol carburetor cleaner. I like the store brand from Auto-Zone. Clean EVERY nook, cranny and passage of the carburetor. Run a pipe cleaner through the high-speed jet to ensure it is clean. Ensure every hole in the high-speed nut is open and clean. Set the float height per the manual. Ensure the throttle shaft has smooth and full movement.

I do not see any problems with carburetor linkage. I will look in my storage area to see if I have an H35.

The governor spring can be moved to different holes increase or decrease engine RPM. I do not think it is connected improperly. Do not exceed 3600 RPM.

I do not have a H35 that I could compare linkage to in my stash of engine. From what I could see the linkage looks fine.