Honda HRT 216 Won't Start When Outside Temperature is Cold??

Old 09-12-09, 09:27 AM
Honda HRT 216 Won't Start When Outside Temperature is Cold??

long time lurker, finally had a question! LOVE THIS SITE!

I just purchased a Honda HRT 216 from Craigslist for $40. Cosmetically is in pretty good shape, deck has a dozen-ish dents from what looks like rocks hitting from underneath and paint has come, needs to rubber on the wheels as well.

The only real problem is when it is cold outside the engine doesn't want to start. The owner had taken to setting it in the sun for a bit or using a hair dryer on the engine to warm it up and it starts right up - first pull.

What possible could cause this?

Also, do you guys know a good place for replacement parts such as rubber for the wheels (or should I just purchase all new wheels) and cables?

Thanks so much to all!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-09, 07:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would say check valve clearances and make sure the choke late is closing ALL the way.

The rubber wheels and cables are very expensive for this mower. Replacing all that stuff exceeds the value of the mower. If I were looking for parts, I'd look on ebay.

Old 09-12-09, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
I would say check valve clearances and make sure the choke late is closing ALL the way.

The rubber wheels and cables are very expensive for this mower. Replacing all that stuff exceeds the value of the mower. If I were looking for parts, I'd look on ebay.
Thanks, I imagine proper valve clearance is noted in the manual? I found the complete set of wheels for $36 + tax and the cable for $10 - worth it to fix you think? Would put total cost around $100 for the mower.....

Going to take a pic tomorrow AM and post it - and let me know what you guys think!

Thanks again!

Old 09-13-09, 01:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It should be in the service manual. I think they will both be about .005".

That price is good for wheels and cable. I have ordered parts from honda for these mowers and it gets pretty high.