Unable to start Generac generator

Old 09-12-09, 09:55 AM
Unable to start Generac generator

I have an EXL 8000 Generac generator (Briggs & Stratton). I have not started it in over a year (and have only used it about 2 or 3 hrs max in the past). Also, I did not use a fuel stabilizer over the winter. Now I cannot start it at all. The electric starter churns it nicely, but no "ignition". I did add some fuel stabilizer on a recommendation, no luck. Took spark plug out, looks a little black, but otherwise good.

How should I trouble shoot this?

{it is an OHVI engine.....Engine family 6GNXS 4072GA:EM}

Any tips will be appreciated
Jan

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-09, 11:00 AM
Barring the old points/condenser setups, when you have the circumstances around a "no start" that you're describing, it's nearly always a fuel problem.

My guess is that your ignition is OK and your fuel has varnished and plugged up the fuel circuits on the carburetor.

I would get a new spark plug and recheck the ignition. Then if you do find you have a bright blue spark, spin the engine over about ten times with the plug out and throttle held open and air filter off.

Then add a teaspoon of fuel directly into the cylinder. If it tries to start, put everything back together with new fuel in the tank and see if it'll take off for you. You may have to choke it to help it along. If it just won't do anything, plan on a carb cleaning.

Old 09-13-09, 06:28 PM
Right on so far

Thanks for your reply. I smell the varnish! I think I need the carb cleaning. Any good resources for this? I have never done anything this mechanical, but is reasonably handy?? Should I attempt it?

Thanks again so much.

Old 09-13-09, 07:27 PM
If you like doing that kind of stuff, go ahead with it. If you're a little uneasy about it take pictures or draw things out before you take them apart.

Then lay all the rubber/neoprene things to one side and soak everything else in a bath type cleaner (you can get that from NAPA),wash it all off and blow it out with compressed air if you have it. If no compressed air get a little can of the compressed air you use on a computer.

Search this Thread