Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

robin ex30 dies

09-12-09, 11:27 AM   #1  
robin ex30 dies

I purchased a powermate generator with a robin ex30 ohc engine earlier this year at Sam's wholesale club. I used it for the first time last weekend to run a travel trailer. Every 15 minutes or so the engine would shut off, as if the switch had been turned off. No sputtering at all. I initially thought that possibly the gas valve was in the wrong position and turned it the other way. The engine started, ran about 30 seconds, and did a sputter sequence for about thirty seconds before dying. At night, when the temp got below 70F, it ran fine. During the day, especially when the sun was adding to the heat problem, the duty cycle was about 15 minutes. I could run out, and the unit would start back up immediately on the first pull, and run another 15 minutes. I took the unit to a "qualified" powermate repair facility, dropped off the unit, and told them that it should be covered under warranty. A message was left on my voicemail the next day that the unit was ready. When I went to pick it up, I was informed that powermate was no longer honoring the warranty on these units, and that they could find nothing wrong with the unit. I was charged 90 dollars for them to crank it up once and let it run for 3 or 4 hours. High cost of gasoline I guess. After looking at the parts book, I feel as though the problem pretty well has to be either the coil or the low oil sensor. My question is; is there a way to bypass or wire around the low oil sensor? The only further money that I'm willing to spend on this machine will be for parts. I'm sick of "qualified" idiots who charge extravagant sums for following a flow chart and produce no results. I never had this problem with Honda motors. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

IA

09-12-09, 12:16 PM   #2  
I would lean more toward the ignition module or possibly a fuel solenoid. Others may think differently.

What did you base the oil sensor fault on? I'm sure you can take it out of the circuit. Is it a two or one wire hookup at the sensor?

In terms of the warranty, a company who has sold a product under the terms of a written warranty is not at liberty to void or not honor that warranty without justification as described in the warranty itself. Just because this Powermate has decided to not honor it isn't a conclusive measure that leaves you without recourse.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-12-09, 07:46 PM   #3  
My word...they charged you $90 for saying there is nothing wrong with it and the warranty you have on printed paper is not valid???!!! I would not settle for that load of crap.

I have always liked the robin engines pretty well. From your description, I almost feel that it is a fuel delivery problem, like maybe the gas cap vent is not venting (try it with the gas cap cracked loose if you can without it leaking). If not that, drop the bowl and verify visually that it is getting a sufficient flow of fuel.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

09-14-09, 07:03 AM   #4  
ignition

I would think (which usually gets me in trouble) that if the problem were fuel, it would have at least some type of hiccup or sputter when dying. This thing goes from 3600 rpm to dead just like the switch has been switched off. And it will immediately start back up if you' re right there to pull the rope. The system is pretty simple, basic magneto with ignition module, which is where I would start if not for the presence of this low oil circuit cut out. It's not just a straight on off switch. It depends upon a resistance rate signal sent to a little module of it's own. I sent the basic text of this original message to Robin in hopes that they would tell me how to bypass the low oil sensor for the sake of troubleshooting, but that's like asking the IRS how to reduce your tax rate.

09-14-09, 07:10 AM   #5  
sensor

It is one wire coming from the sensor, but just unplugging it at any point shuts down the engine.

09-14-09, 11:58 AM   #6  
solved

Got an email this morning from the tech guy at Robin. He said that there had been problems with the module that controls the oil level switch. Somehow interference from the generator (I guess possibly inductive?) caused the module to intermittently blink. Probably not a problem on any other application other than generators. If the little module on the side contained the numbers KU3-11073-01 it was the old style. The newer, beefed up module is a KU3-11075-01. He is sending me one free of charge and I promised to brag on Robin's customer service forever. I also appreciate you guy's help and am thrilled at finding out about this website. I have farmed for years and found that anything that happens to one machine has a very high likelyhood of happening to all the machines made in the same batch. This is an exciting tool for people to help each other. Thanks again, Johnny

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-14-09, 06:24 PM   #7  
Good info to know. I'll have to file that one for future reference. Thanks for the update!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread