Honda HT3813 transmission fluid:

Old 09-12-09, 04:20 PM
Honda HT3813 transmission fluid:

I recently bought a used Honda HT3813 lawn tractor. It runs great except when I put it in gear, it takes a few seconds to start moving. I want to check the transmission fluid but can't find out how to do so. I have the owner's manual but it doesn't show you how or where to check it. Can anyone help me out?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-09, 06:19 PM
checking fluid level

if you look in thru the rear frame (behind the seat), thru the large opening on left hand side (left looking forward), you'll see
a large alum nut cap on the top left rear corner of the trans

it won't be the very top but close - you fill to top - if you have never done it, it doesn't hurt to change it - it took close to 3 qts iirc

but that delay you're referring to is in the clutch linkage - the delay is caused by the dampner or small shock absorber that controls how quickly the clutch re-engages when you release the shift lever (when you pull the lever to left to change gears, you're also depressing clutch) - that delay is adjusted by an adjustment nut under the right rear fender - looking in over the right rear tire you'll see it at about 1:00 O'clock position, relative to the axle. And that depressing clutch automatically with movement of the shift lever was what made it a "MAT" mechanical automatic transmission

you'll think it's two nuts, one over the other - it's only one - the one behind it is one pc with the one you see and is held from moving by a spring clip - turn a few cliks clockwise and check the delay - i just did mine back in the spring - had about a 15 second delay before clutch would re-engage - adjusted about 8-9 turns and am back to factory recommended 1 second delay

Old 09-13-09, 06:31 AM
Hond ht3813 TRANSMISSION:

Larry, thanks for your quick response, you were right on the money..

Old 09-13-09, 07:32 AM
glad it worked for you

you might want to consider getting one of the factory svc manuals - got mine at Repair Manual Catalog Online - RepairManual.com, ran about $43 iirc, but sure helped to make a lot of sense -

the total clutch linkage adjustment sequence is pretty well detailed - and probably should be looked at - that clutch disc and friction plate run about $190 - if you can keep from burning those up early, that manual paid for itself

Search this Thread