Swisher pull-behind won't stay running

Old 09-12-09, 06:26 PM
Swisher pull-behind won't stay running

I have a swisher pull-behind mower w/ an 11hp motor. I let my dad borrow it and ever since I cant get it to run right. It was at the point where it would run great until I moved then it would die, and be very hard to start again. I took the carb out and cleaned it as well as I could, blew through all the passages with a straw and nothing seemed to be blocked. After I put the carb back on it ran ok for a few minutes, then the same problem came up, so I took off the carb and cleaned it again with no luck at all this time. It chokes out and dies especially when I make sharp turns if that helps. I blew through the gas line and it isnt clogged at all. I have to believe that this is a carb problem because it's getting spark and fuel. Air filter is clean and removing it doesn't seem to affect it. HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-09, 07:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What kind of engine are we talking about? Maybe something in the tank blocking fuel flow?

Old 09-13-09, 07:41 AM
Its a briggs and stratton

Old 09-13-09, 02:41 PM
it sounds like a gravity feed fuel cell. ( the tank is seperate from the carb. and is positioned higher so the gas can flow down.)

is there a breather cap on the tank that allows air to flow into the tank as fuel leaves?
did you dad lose the original cap by mistake and stick a different one on there without telling you.
you will need a breather cap if it`s not there. try starting it with the cap on loosely and see if this helps.

if the tank is on the bottom of the cab (like the old style push mowers)then the screen could be plugged that strains the fuel in the bottom of the tank. when you turn, the fuel pick-up may not be able to gather fuel from the unplugged side causing it to starve out.

Old 09-13-09, 08:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds a bit like water in the carb bowl. Take the bowl off and see. Could be trash in there as well.