Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Old 6hp techumse wont start.

MI

09-13-09, 12:09 PM   #1  
Old 6hp techumse wont start.

I have a old john deere 524 rototiller and I think its a 6hp techumse. I cant get the engine to start. I got a few puffs liek it wanted to go but thats it. My finger is raw from pulling the starter so much. Any ideas what to check? Starting fluid does nothing and its getting spark.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

MN

09-13-09, 01:51 PM   #2  
Is the plug getting wet? If not, I did this to get an old Tecumseh motor going:

Take out the plug and pour a cap full of oil in the cylinder. put plug back and connect everything. Squirt a little starting fluid and start pulling. The oil will help get the compression higher and may get it to run.

When was the last time it ran?

MI

09-13-09, 07:39 PM   #3  
I poured some oil into the cylinder to make higher compression but it didnt start. It seems to have good compression.

I bought this a few weeks back, it was in some guys barn. It has very little wear on it so I cant see the engine having wear.

The spark plug was wet so I pulled off the fuel line thinking maybe it was flooding it. I sprayed starter fluid in it and see if it wanted to fire on it with no gas from the carb and still nothing.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-13-09, 08:01 PM   #4  
Check the flywheel key, try a new spark plug. If it has compression, spark at the right time, and fuel, it should run.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MI

09-13-09, 08:32 PM   #5  
I pulled the flywheel off so I know the key is fine. I held the spark plug on the outside of the engine and it had spark so I would imagine it would spark while in the head.

CANADA

09-13-09, 08:41 PM   #6  
Are you getting good spark??Try a new plug and hold it with the plug wire attached onto the top of the cylinder head.
Cheese might be right, key-way on the fly wheel sheared off.
Or, the ignition coil is gone.

MI

09-13-09, 09:10 PM   #7  
The spark looked fine to me but I also have this gizmo that is supposed to make the spark like 20,000 times bigger. I dont know if it works that good but it does boost the spark.

I need a electric starter, then it would probably start.

CANADA

09-16-09, 07:04 PM   #8  
You need to trouble shoot the issue correctly. There is a reason why it won't start / run. Putting a spark magnifier on it won't help, more like to damage the coil / ignition system.

MI

09-16-09, 07:28 PM   #9  
Im not sure what the deal was but it runs now, its still hard to start. I think the head gasket may be leaking. It doesnt want to idle, it surges. At WOT it runs great. One problem was the spring on the throttle would bounce around and hit the metal strip on the throttle where it gets grounded to stop the spark.

After ripping on it all day and wearing the skin off one finger it fired up the first pull the next morning.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-17-09, 12:54 AM   #10  
Sounds like the carb needs work.

God bless!

MI

09-17-09, 09:03 PM   #11  
Posted By: cheese Sounds like the carb needs work.
I cleaned the carb out but when it was running the adjustment screws didnt do anything.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-17-09, 09:09 PM   #12  
I don't think you got it clean enough.

God bless!

MI

09-17-09, 09:38 PM   #13  
I had it perfectly clean. either junk got in it because of no filter or the problem is it the same piece of junk carburator that was on my jacobsen snow blower that I heard horror stories about. I finaly rigged up a carb off of a push mower.

Search this Thread