starter/generator rotation

Old 09-13-09, 03:35 PM
starter/generator rotation

Is there a way to reverse the rotation of a starter generator. someone gave me one but it turns the wrong direction for my cub cadet 100. CCW when sitting on tractor, mine turns clockwise. Any idea's? It is a delco remy with two post, armature and field

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-09, 08:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think so... I am not an expert on the old starter/generators, but I think the armature and fields are wound specifically for the intended rotation.

Old 09-14-09, 06:10 AM
if the bendix gear is like the one on the starter i just

pulled down, it wouldn't make a difference if you could get the starter to reverse direction - the bendix gear rides on a huge pitched worm thread that causes the bendix gear to move out toward the end of the shaft to engage the flywheel - if starter were turning in reverse direction, that bendix gear or bendix pinion gear (whatever proper title is) would never move outward

below is a shot of my starter dis-assembled - with some other items highlited - ignore those, but on the shaft with armature, bottom right hand corner of pix, just to the left of the armature, you'll see the worm gearing on the shaft - that bendix gear identified as the "free wheeling clutch" in the pix, has similiar female gearing inside it's opening - hopefully that will help it make sense as my word pictures get worse the older i get

Old 09-14-09, 01:59 PM
Hi Larry.Thanks for info, But there is no Bendix, it is a starter/ generator, only a V-Belt pulley on the end of it to turn over motor then motor drives it to generate voltage. i suspect Mr cheese is correct, Bummer

Old 09-14-09, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Doorman2722 View Post
Hi Larry.Thanks for info, But there is no Bendix, it is a starter/ generator, only a V-Belt pulley on the end of it to turn over motor then motor drives it to generate voltage. i suspect Mr cheese is correct, Bummer
whoops - i speed read and sped right past the "generator" part