belt routing

Old 09-14-09, 09:33 PM
Smile belt routing

I have a 1983 murray riding mower, 14.5 h.p. 42 inch cut. Just recently the blade belt broke on it and being as how I bought the mower used, I have no clue as to how it goes back on. Also, I would like to know the belt size, I think the one that was on it was too big. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on this matter.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-09, 10:09 PM
Some of these mowers have a decal under the floorboard or on the deck to show you the routing...Without the model & serial # of you'r unit I don't know what belt you need but if you post some info I'm sure the pros will fix you up in no time... Good Luck.... Roger

Old 09-15-09, 08:37 AM
Generically speaking for most decks, stand at the back of the deck with it removed from the tractor. Take a marker if needed and draw arrows on the deck to show which way the blades should be turning. Typically the leading edge (front of the deck) of the blades spins toward the side discharge. Belts are almost ALWAYS routed to provide as close to 180 degrees of wrap around the pulleys as possible, never less than 120 degrees as that would cause too much slippage. Wrap the belt around the blade pulleys and you will have quite a bit of belt left over. That gets used to wrap around the spring mounted idler Look at the spring mounted idler. You want the belt to go around the idler in such a way that it will pull against the spring, not push against the spring. If the idler pulley is flat, then the BACK side of the belt goes against the pulley face, if it's a "V" type pulley, then the belt goes normally into the "V". A little patience and a little logic, and you can figure out just about any deck belt routing with no drawing.

Above is my generic belt routing explaination that works for 98% of mower decks. What causes you to think that your old belt was too big? Maybe it just had stretched over the years?

Old 09-15-09, 10:58 AM
The model# 42614X92A, I checked all over the mower, but I don't see ay diagrahm

Old 09-16-09, 05:58 AM
Old 09-16-09, 10:28 PM
That is awesome, its what I needed and more. Thank you very much airman.