Honda GX270 9HP

Old 09-16-09, 06:49 AM
Honda GX270 9HP

I have this engine on my logsplitter. Was working fine. Slowed to idle and it died. Would not restart. Plug was dry every time I checked. Gas in bowl. Next day pulled carb and checked and cleaned. Still would not fire. Would fire gas put in spark plug hole buy not keep running. Ordered a new carb. A week latter before new carb came in walked by it and gave it a pull for the heck of it. Started reight up, ran fine.
A week latter same thing. This time since I had the new carb put it on. Still no start, plug always dry. Latter that day started right up first pull????

Any idea what is going on here???

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-09, 07:18 PM
It kind of sounds like you have a venting problem with the gas tank cap or there is something in the sediment bulb by the fuel shut off that is pluging the fuel line flow. Most Honda carbs have a screw on the side of the fuel bowl that you can pull to see when the engine quits if there is fuel in the carb or not and you should have a good steady flow. Just signs of a small amount of fuel is not good enough. I would start at the carb when it quits and work my way to the tank seeing where there is a good stream of fuel flow or you can loosen the fuel cap first and see if it starts. Does your engine have an oil level sensor? Also a possiblility that the sensor module is going bad when it gets warmed up. I also have run into marginal valve clearance that will act in a simular fashion but the engine will act like it has no compression when it heats up.

Old 09-27-09, 07:40 AM
Most Honda carbs have a screw on the side of the fuel bowl that you can pull to see when the engine quits if there is fuel in the carb or not and you should have a good steady flow.

Had a good flow.

Does your engine have an oil level sensor?

Yes but if this were the problem wouldn't that kill the spark and cause the plug to be wet with gas???

Also a possiblility that the sensor module is going bad when it gets warmed up.

Wouldn't start the next 2 days when cooled down.

I also have run into marginal valve clearance that will act in a simular fashion but the engine will act like it has no compression when it heats up.[/QUOTE]