Craftsman 917.376450 22" Mower Gas Tank Filling Help

Old 09-16-09, 06:20 PM
Craftsman 917.376450 22" Mower Gas Tank Filling Help

I have a Craftsman 22" mower (probably a Roper) 917.376450 with a 675 Series Briggs & Stratton engine. The mower is very capable, but it is a gas hog! My problem is the gas tank seems to be divided into chambers and the passageways between chambers seem to be very restricted. At least the air vent from secondary chamber(s) is smaller than a pin head! I want to fill the tank completely so I can get two mowings out of it. The task is extremely laborious and time consuming. It's difficult to fill the tank without spilling gasoline all over the place. Finally I've resorted to sitting on a stool, partially filling a two cup measuring cup from my two gallon Eagle gas can and carefully pouring gasoline into the mower's tank from the measuring cup. If you were to witness the process I'm sure it would appear bizarre.

I can't be alone in facing this situation. What do you think is the best way to approach this?

I would love to purchase a Scepter 6921 "Flo N' Go MaxFlo 2.5-Gallon Gas Can w/ Fuel Siphon" I found here:

Scepter 6921 Flo N' Go MaxFlo 2.5-Gallon Gas Can w/ Fuel Siphon

But alas, I am in Texas. I see that the item can't be shipped to Texas.

Thanks, - Dave McKeen

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-09, 08:18 PM
Im sure these products must be available @ a retail store/ auto parts store near you??? I know all the box stores around here have them.. No offence ment,, but get away from the internet shopping & check out the local stores.. They may have what you need (or can get it for you) & if you support them, than they'll be there when you need them...As far as filling the tank,,, is it just the top 3/4 part you are having trouble with,, Or is it hard to fill right from empty??? Just my thoughts... Roger

Old 09-17-09, 09:29 AM
Thanks.
------------------

Old 09-17-09, 04:17 PM
Got a photo of the gas tank and the divider? I have never seen a gas tank divided.

Old 09-17-09, 05:25 PM
Hi Indypower1. Here are some photos and a diagram:

Here is the diagram out of the mower manual. The entire molding shown is the tank in the parts list. The tank is "L" shaped. It wraps around the engine starting at the right side (where the filler neck is) and goes all the way across the back. There must be slosh baffles strategically placed within the tank.

Here is a photo of the filler neck with the cap off. I am guessing that the tiny vent allows air to escape from within the far reaches of the tank.

Here are photos of the tank as it wraps around the side and back of the engine:

- Dave

Old 09-20-09, 05:14 PM
Dave,

There are no baffles inside that tank that I've ever seen nor heard of......

Old 09-20-09, 07:49 PM
I was only guessing about baffles/chambers. The point is the tank fills painfully slowly. Air has to vent from somewhere out the tiny vent in the filler neck. Just looking for a controlled way to skin a cat. For that matter I can make a mess filling a normal tank. Certainly there are ways to do it in a way that is environmentally friendly.

Thanks - Dave

Old 09-20-09, 08:00 PM
The pics shown don't seem to have ever had a problem with overflow. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 09-21-09, 12:03 PM
I use a one gallon can such as this for filling smaller engines, The spout is smaller than the tank filler hole which allows air to vent while filling. Use of a funnel will seal around the filler hole thus reducing venting and cause spillage while filling.

Old 09-21-09, 01:15 PM
Thanks 31Y, a gallon can makes sense. Now. about filling a one-gallon can at today's filling stations!