Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing Pull Cord on Yard Machine MTD

09-17-09, 09:59 AM   #1  
Replacing Pull Cord on Yard Machine MTD

I have a Yard Machine MTD 4 HP/ 21" cut. The pull cord frayed and then broke. I removed the cover and don't know how to proceed. The reel system isn't screwed in, so I assume I have to take off everything -- but I see that even the gas tank is attached. Is this possible? I've been looking at the bolts at the bottom -- and I just don't see it.

TIA

Sponsored Links

MO

09-17-09, 04:08 PM   #2  
You must remove the shroud, usually 2 bolts in front and 2 in back 3/8", plus whatever else ia attached depending on the model. Now fish out the remainder of the cord and turn the pulley, in the direction it would travel if you were trying to start the mower, until it will go no farther, now back it off until the holes in the pulley align with the one in the housing, thread the new rope through the housing and pulley, tie aknot in the rope, release the pulley, the rope will rewind, put it all back together, cut things to proper lengths and you are finished. Pics below for reference. Have a good one. Geo

09-18-09, 07:41 AM   #3  
Oh! I thought I had to drill through the rivets (never done that before).

The model - btw - # is 11A424C062/762. This is it http://www.outdoordistributors.com/p...062_(2000).pdf.

But I'll look for those bolts. Thanks!

Search this Thread