craftsman wont start

Old 09-17-09, 10:11 AM
craftsman wont start

hello all,I have a craftsman 17 hp lawn tractor model#917.271650 that wont start.I ran it up a concrete ramp leading into the car port.did not think the deck was that low!The blades hit the concret and the mower shut off imediately.Now it will not start.The engine cranks but wont start.The blades turn freely and are not damaged.I've used engine starter on it and nothing.It seems as though it's not getting any fuel or fire.Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-09, 12:24 PM
You've probably sheered the flywheel key. Two lessons in that, one always disengage the blades when not necessary to cut grass, and two always lift the blades up when driving around. These save me so much hassle (he says having mowed through a pair of ear defenders, and bent the blade housing several times). You learn through your mistakes.

If the keys ok then check for spark, then check out the carb.

Old 09-17-09, 09:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's possible that the key sheared, but it's pretty uncommon on riding mower engines. I'd pull the spark plug and check for spark... sometimes an abrupt halt of the engine causes a splash of oil through the breather system and it could be bridging the gap on the spark plug, causing it to not start. If you have a clean plug and good spark, try a little gas in the spark plug hole and see if it will start. If not, check the flywheel key.

Old 09-17-09, 09:28 PM
Maybe a wire for a safty got ripped off.