Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bolens Lawn Tractor will not go uphill

09-17-09, 07:05 PM   #1  
Bolens Lawn Tractor will not go uphill

I have a what i think is a 2003 Bolens lawn tractor that runs great on level ground. However when you start to go up a slight grade, it slows down and eventually stops. It is one of the 600 series tractors with the single speed transmissions with a variable speed pulley.

I removed the cover over the direction lever and can watch the pulley as I drive. On flat ground as I change speeds, the pulley seems to operate properly and the belt seems to move in and out as it should. When going up hill, the belt starts to slip and then it will of course smoke as it gets hot and eventually just stop.

The engine runs fine all the time.

Sponsored Links

TN

09-17-09, 07:22 PM   #2  
Would you post the model and serial number please?

Is this an Autodrive?

09-17-09, 08:30 PM   #3  
Model 13AM662F163 Serial 1F173B40201

It is a single speed transmission with a Variable speed pulley. It has seven speed positions. It is called a Transmatic Lawn Tractor.

Last edited by nickjr; 09-17-09 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Add more information

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-17-09, 08:43 PM   #4  
What if you put it in a higher speed? Sounds to me like you need new belts.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

09-17-09, 09:49 PM   #5  
the belt looks to be in good condition. Changing speeds makes it go faster on level ground, but it will still slow down to a halt going up a grade. As you increase speed, the belt gets tighter and rides deeper inside the pulley.

TN

09-18-09, 07:01 AM   #6  
You may have a problem internal to the transmission. These types of Auto Drive transmissions often make noise when going bad but not always. Bad differentials will often cause slipping and lurching.

First, rule out the belt. Put nose of tractor against a stationary object and engage transmission. Have someone observe belt for slipping in the pulleys. Hope for a bad belt.

The differential is what I normally find defective. Parts are not available to repair the differential so you must replace the entire differential, about $200.00 retail, maybe better on eBay. Differential replacement is part number 918-04096A. They are not difficult to replace. You will also need sealant and special grease.

I see there is a part number 753-05851 service replacement kit available for the 618-04034 transmission. I think this is a complete transmission but I am not positive of this. If this becomes an option search for the best price and call to determine if it is a replacement transmission. I have seen this service kit as low as $265.00 which I would take over replacing a differential. When you add up cost of sealant and special grease when you replace a differential the price is about the same.

09-18-09, 05:15 PM   #7  
Today I bought a new belt. after comparing the two of them, I am convinced that is the problem. The old belt appears to be worn when you look at the new one. We will see over the weekend. Thanks everyone for the response and ideas.

Nick

09-21-09, 06:18 PM   #8  
I just want to thank everyone for their helpful answers. I put a new belt on the tractor and that took care of the problem. Runs like a new tractor now.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-21-09, 07:50 PM   #9  
Glad to help and thanks for the update!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread