Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

5 HP B&S runs with plug wire disconnected!!

UT

09-18-09, 07:59 AM   #1  
5 HP B&S runs with plug wire disconnected!!

So I have an older 5HP Briggs on a Snapper deck. I have been trying to get the thing to run (neighbor gave it to me!), and cleaned the carburetor, emptied out about 1/2 qt. of excess oil (!?) and checked compression. Naturally my next step was to check for spark, so I disconnected the wire from the plug and left the wire end about 1/4" from the plug. Pulled the starter rope and the thing fired up. It runs beautifully with the wire disconnected in this fashion! However while it is running, when I connect the plug wire to the plug, it shuts off. I've checked to see if I could see any grounding issues with the coil but cannot see anything. Any suggestions? Bad coil maybe? Help!

Sponsored Links

TX

09-18-09, 09:10 AM   #2  
try a new plug/ gap it about-0.025"
on an automobile, with a fouled plug, when you do as you are describing-it forces the coil to create a much higher voltage to jump the 1/4 "-that voltage some times fires the fouled plug & eng will smooth out.

UT

09-18-09, 09:55 AM   #3  
Good thought. I'll try a new plug. I guess it baffles me because the plug doesn't appear fouled at all. Looks almost new in fact. With the plug out and grounded, I get good spark at the electrode! Thanks for the input.

Search this Thread