JD mower blade installation

Old 09-17-09, 08:42 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
JD mower blade installation

I recently sharpened the blades on my John Deere Zero Turn mower. I did not check the orientation of the blades before I took them off. After I re-installed them I noticed that grass in the boundary between the blades was not being cut very well. This was especially true if the grass was a little high or damp.

My question is if there is some particular way the blades are supposed to be oriented (i.e., perpendicular to each other, parallel, etc). I can't find anything on this--hope someone out there has the answer for me!

Old 09-17-09, 06:51 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
On the belt driven setups with two or three blades they will rotate away from an original setting on them anyway so I don't know if the orientation of them is that important. The cutting path of the ends of the blades should be overlapping, but that isn't something you change.

Old 09-17-09, 08:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Is it possible you got them on upside down?

Old 09-18-09, 07:04 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
That's what my father-in-law did, Cheese. I believe he couldn't get straight which way they rotated (or something like that).

And..... they don't work very well like that.

Old 09-18-09, 02:03 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
after the blades are worn down they start doing that.
have the been sharpened a lot? it if so that changes where they cut at in relation to the other blade as they turn in the center. a friend of mines blades were so bad he had to cut the yard twice. mine are geeting that way but mostly only on turns.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: