gfi tripping out

Old 09-19-09, 03:21 PM
gfi tripping out

Gotta electric powered pressure washer. Every time I plug it in lately to an outdoor GFI receptacle, it runs for about 4 seconds then the GFI receptacle trips out. Had been working fine before this, plugged into same receptacle. I reset the GFI and try again but always with same result. What might be the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-09, 05:10 PM
It could be the breaker in the plugin. You might get more information farther down the forum list, though. There's a section for household electric stuff.

Old 09-20-09, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by marbobj View Post
It could be the breaker in the plugin. You might get more information farther down the forum list, though. There's a section for household electric stuff.
Do you mean the breaker in the receptacle? I did try plugging in other electrical devices, such as a circular saw to this same particular receptacle, and the breaker in the receptacle did not trip out. Only happens when I try to use the pressure washer.

I guess I could try posting my question in the household electrical forum too, as you suggest, thanks.

Old 09-21-09, 11:20 PM
Pressure washer have a habit of tripping rcds in my house (rcds are essentially the same as gfis). There isn't really a lot you can do. Just run an extension lead from a non rcd'd (gif'd) socket.

This would be the british attitude, although you americans tend to be far more worried about safety.

Old 09-22-09, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by 07bloomfieldb View Post
There isn't really a lot you can do. Just run an extension lead from a non rcd'd (gif'd) socket.
Too worried about safety to run an extension lead from a non gfci'd socket.

If there isn't a lot I can do otherwise, is there at least a little I can do, take it apart and try to check it somehow, or is that probably an exercise in futility for a non-electrician?

Old 09-22-09, 02:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by sgull View Post
Too worried about safety to run an extension lead from a non gfci'd socket.

If there isn't a lot I can do otherwise, is there at least a little I can do, take it apart and try to check it somehow, or is that probably an exercise in futility for a non-electrician?
I am surprised it ever worked in a GFI outlet. They are sensitive to amperage and frequency changes which an electric pump is not likely to hold steady. Moisture alone not to mention water can trip a GFI.

Check the power cord for any wear spots and maybe the connections inside the case. Other wise I would suggest trying another outlet and if problems persist (blowing a house or main breaker) discontinue using the PW until you find the problem or replace the unit.

Old 09-22-09, 03:08 PM
I opened it up and there is moisture/water around the switch area on the components there. I found out the washer was left out in the rain for several days, probably where that moisture came from, even though the washer is generally fairly protected if water should happen to get on it. I'll let it dry out, maybe blow dry it with a hairdryer and when I'm pretty sure the things have dried out good I'll try again.