Need Self-Propelled Briggs & Stratton Handle/Levers Advice

Old 09-21-09, 08:30 PM
Exclamation Need Self-Propelled Briggs & Stratton Handle/Levers Advice

I am going crazy!! I don't need help with engine parts which seems to be all you find anywhere you look. I need to see illustrations of my lawn mower and point to a part and say THERE! that's what I think is broken. I am so frustrated. I have a used, self-propelled walk behind lawn mower I guess bought at ACE Hardware beacuse that's what it says on the front of the body. Engine is Briggs & Stratton Model 122-118R003. It is 5 HP, 21" blade or cut. It no longer self propells. This is all up at the top of the handle that I am talking about. The throttle handle works fine, it runs fine, idles fine, etc. The smaller lever-like handle that I guess engages the mower to go forward has no tension anymore, you pull the handle and it goes back as far as it can with no tension at all. I took apart the little plastic housing assembly below where it is stamped on the mower "Tighten" with an arrow pointing down. Without taking the housing off you couldn't turn the plastic cog-like fatter wheel to tighten anything. The metal cable that runs to the housing of the lawn mower engine from inside this housing slips in and out of it's appropriate place fine, nothing fraying, more silver wire than I would like to see going toward the lever on the right so I see it does need tightening. When you take the separate toothed plastic wheel out of the housing an axle-like plastic part is attached to it (looks molded on) on the left and that slips onto the black plastic line going toward the engine with the silver metal running through it entirely. The right part of this small piece is the attached plastic toothed fatter wheel which also has the metal line threaded thru it which then slips into the round notch that holds the line in place with a fater vertical piece of metal attached to the end. Nothing tightens. The only thing I am guessing could be wrong if something IS wrong near the top handle is that the toothed round wheel has a plastic threaded part molded to it on the right side which, logically, seems it would screw into something, but there is nothing there. The larger abutting casing for the lever has an opening on the right bottom side that, when you stick your finger into, you can touch the silver wire and the plastic wheel with a seemingly empty amount of space there. Has something fallen out of this space to the right of the wheel that is about 2" horizontal with a thickness of about 1/2" that should be threading onto the plastic wheel which sits right below the spot where it says TIGHTEN above it on the top of the handle? Should I be looking for some plastic part somewhere in my grass that might attach back and then allow tightening/tension to the lever which engages the mower to move forward? OR, is there something that came loose under the metal housing on the engine that the black cord runs into? It SEEMS that I might be missing a part on the handle, but, I can't find any photographs or illustrations of the workings of the top part of ANY lawn mower to even try to take an educated guess. I don't want to buy any manuals or videos or CD's, what a rip-off. I just want to see a picture of the parts that make up the area I am talking about. Briggs does sell the repair manual, parts book, video and CD if you want to buy it. Jeese. Hopefully someone will understand what I'm talking about here and can direct me to where I need to go to see what might be missing. Ugh. Thanks for your time and any help you can give. Arlykat

Last edited by Airman; 09-22-09 at 06:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-09, 07:07 AM
Your post is a bit TOO MUCH for me to digest. See if you can find the parts breakdown and make a simpler post referring to parts as they are named in the parts breakdown.

The model number of 122-118R003 is close but off somewhere. Look again and see if there is a number off. Most likely you are off with the last three digits. This is an MTD model number. With the correct number, you can go to the link below and find a parts breakdown. MTD makes mowers under many different names. Parts are widely available.

' + objMainFrame.arrApplicationTitle['EN'] + ' -- EMPARTweb*Version 5.4.1* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Old 09-23-09, 01:54 AM
Arrow Need Self-Propelled Briggs & Stratton Handle/Levers Advice

Originally Posted by Airman View Post
Your post is a bit TOO MUCH for me to digest. See if you can find the parts breakdown and make a simpler post referring to parts as they are named in the parts breakdown.

The model number of 122-118R003 is close but off somewhere. Look again and see if there is a number off. Most likely you are off with the last three digits. This is an MTD model number. With the correct number, you can go to the link below and find a parts breakdown. MTD makes mowers under many different names. Parts are widely available.

' + objMainFrame.arrApplicationTitle['EN'] + ' -- EMPARTweb*Version 5.4.1* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Hey Airman,
Thanks for trying to make sense out of what I was trying to describe. You are, of course, right - I die copy the Model No. down wrong - nothing like makiing a confusing topic more confusing. I used your link and after some trial and error did find my lawn mower. It's from MTD Ace Hardware, 1992, Model 122-118R03376888. I'm going to include a link to pictures I took to help make sense of what I'm trying to ask/figure out. Hopefully it will make much more sense to you. Our self-propell doesn't work anymore. The propell lever handle pulls easily all the way back to the handlebar and near the very end it slightly pulls the metal cord that I guess engages the mechanism to move forward. I'm not sure if I've lost a part inside the casing of the lever and smaller linkage containing the silver wire going to the engine (this linkage is located inside the casing for the lever to make he mower self-propell. I've been told it isn't called the throttle so I'm sorry but I don't know what to call it. We just moved and our new lawn is in CT and thick thick thick. Thinking possibly something came loose trying to mow/propel/push the mower. Or, something could have happened when it was taken apart (handle, etc. disconnected) when moving from CT to CA in July. Worked great in CT. The links I am giving you are for the same pictures, 1 you have to double click on the 1st pic to enlarge it and then click on next pick, etc. The 2nd link is a slideshow of the pics, not sure if that is easier to see. I think you will understand more, hopefully, once you see the pics with descriptions and what I have posted here so far. I hope so anyway - can't afford another mower and can't really afford to have someone else fix it either. Thanks for any help at all. Arlykat (THE LAST LONG LINK IS TO MY MOWER PARTS FROM THE LINK YOU GAVE ME TO LOOK FOR IT.)

GRID, double click pics and read descriptions:
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
- - - - - - - - - - - -
SLIDESHOW - Maybe double click, I hope you can pause when you need to:
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
- - - - - - - - - - - -
LINK TO DIAGRAM OF MY MOWER PARTS (thanks) IT LOGS ME OUT AND MAY NOT WORK SO I'LL GIVE ANOTHER LINK TOO:
EMPARTWeb Version - Session Expired
- - - - - - - - - -- -
' + objMainFrame.getCopyrightMessage(objMainFrame.getCurrentOEMDesc()) + ' -- MTD: [122-118R033 (76888) (1992)]* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Last edited by Arlykat; 09-23-09 at 02:24 AM.
Old 09-23-09, 05:50 AM
Use only these numbers 122-118R033 as the model number when looking for parts.

I have found the control lever part number 731-0620 to begin loosing its stiffness and flexing with age. Sometimes if control cable part number 746-0712A is binding or is not operating smoothly causes the control lever is loosing stiffness. If this is the case, you may have to replace both parts.

To see if this is your problem grasp the handle by gripping it with your hand closer to the cover and then engaging. Does the transmission operate now?

The “plastic wheel with teeth” is used to adjust the cable for better transmission engagement. I have always found this to have minimal to no effect. The wheel with teeth rides up and downs the threads.

Old 09-23-09, 12:28 PM
'Need Self-Propelled Briggs & Stratton Handle/Levers Advice'

Originally Posted by Airman View Post
Use only these numbers 122-118R033 as the model number when looking for parts.

I have found the control lever part number 731-0620 to begin loosing its stiffness and flexing with age. Sometimes if control cable part number 746-0712A is binding or is not operating smoothly causes the control lever is loosing stiffness. If this is the case, you may have to replace both parts.

To see if this is your problem grasp the handle by gripping it with your hand closer to the cover and then engaging. Does the transmission operate now?

The “plastic wheel with teeth” is used to adjust the cable for better transmission engagement. I have always found this to have minimal to no effect. The wheel with teeth rides up and downs the threads.

Hey Airman,

You're so nice to get back to me so quickly. I've been sitting here rereading and trying to grasp/take in the info you've given me. I'll be heading out to the garage and lawn mower a little later today to see if I know what you're talking about and see if I can figure out how to take the parts off and replace them. I'll let you know, and again, thanks. Arlykat

Old 09-25-09, 04:14 PM
Lightbulb 'Need Self-Propelled Briggs & Stratton Handle/Levers Advice'

Originally Posted by Arlykat View Post
Hey Airman,

You're so nice to get back to me so quickly. I've been sitting here rereading and trying to grasp/take in the info you've given me. I'll be heading out to the garage and lawn mower a little later today to see if I know what you're talking about and see if I can figure out how to take the parts off and replace them. I'll let you know, and again, thanks. Arlykat
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Airman, whew. I spent several hours yesterday getting down and dirty with my lawn mower. The lever seems to be just fine, very sturdy, no stress markes or scratches inside on plastic housing under lever.

The control cable seems to be just fine, very straight, strong, no fraying or shrinking of the wire on either end. . I simply couldn't tighten it at all. I ended up taking off the housing just over the propelling reels with a belt attached. There, with a long skinny screwdriver I carefully pulled out probably enough dried grass/mud to easily fill a 2-liter soda bottle. Wow. As I looked at the wheel and belt when I pulled the lever it did make the arm with the small roller hit the belt and turn it some. So, I'm left with the idea that the belt has stretched out way too much to tighten the cord. (Except, as I said, the lever when pulled with me holding the wire tight by hand at the top did make the small roller wheel hit the larger reel with belt and did continue to push it all the while I pulled the lever upward/inward.)

There are tooth-like cracks in the belt here and there and definite wear. Could this somehow have stretched out way too big to affect the entire problem I'm having with the self-propelling? I just can't find anything else wrong. Now, IF the belt is the big problem, lordy how do I go about replacing it? You have to peer way inside the mower under the head to see or just be able to touch a smaller metal reel the belt goes around. (This is because of the smaller cover I took off.) Would the belt be able to be looped around the inner small metal reel and then threaded into the correct position on the front wheel by somehow lessening the tension and then when the belt was wrapped correctly on its reels release the tension somehow to make it tighten?

Would that then hopefully correct the loose tension coming from the cable?

Will wait to hear from you.
Arlykat