Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Honda mower won't propel anymore

09-23-09, 11:25 AM   #1  
Craftsman Honda mower won't propel anymore

I have a Craftsman self-propelled Honda mower - about eight years old. Service has been done regularly. About two weeks ago, while I was in the middle of mowing the yard, the propeller function stopped. I don't know the cause. I had to push it real hard to finish the remaing job. Any suggesion how I go about fixing this, please? Thanks in advance for your help.

Best

Sponsored Links

Non-US

09-23-09, 01:53 PM   #2  
is this a belt drive or a shaft drive type?? I'm thinking a belt drive as it's a Craftsman..Correct??? Check the belt to start with & maybe post some model & serial #'s so the pro's know what you're working on....Roger

09-25-09, 10:58 AM   #3  
Yes it is a belt drive. I checked the belt and it is good.

The model# is 917 3782 10 and the serial # is 073 001M 007599.

Thanks for your help.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-25-09, 05:46 PM   #4  
Check to see if the belt is tight when you engage the drive.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

09-27-09, 02:04 PM   #5  
Yes I checked it and the belt is tight when engaged just like before when it was working. Whatelse shall I try? Thanks for your help.

Non-US

09-27-09, 05:02 PM   #6  
Check the drive pionions @ the wheels & the ratchet pins inside them.. Also check the teeth on the inside of the wheels... Is the drive shafts from the trans to the front wheels turning??? Is the pulley driving the input shaft of the trans??? Are the ends of the drive shafts really worn & the drive pionions not in mesh with the teeth of the wheels??? Other than internal problems,, thats about all I can think of right now... Roger

09-28-09, 01:52 PM   #7  
Thanks a lot for the guidance. I will give it a shot and hope I will fix it. If not, I will take it to a repair shop. Thanks again.

Search this Thread