pressure hose repair

Old 09-24-09, 06:54 PM
pressure hose repair

While the advice to buy a new pressure hose is generally correct, what if there is no replacement because the hose coupling was changed and todays new hoses do not fit?
My 2200 psi pressure washer is in perfect condition despite being about 10 years old due to very low useage and proper care.
I made the mistake of allowing the hose to contact the exhaust which of course holed the hose about 6" from the pump, far from the nozzle.
I cannot buy a new hose that will fit and no one seems capable of replacing the coupling or of repairing the hose. Normally I would cut the hose at the burn and replace the old coupling on the good part of the hose but apparently it is hydraulically or mechanically attached and can't be manually.

I talked to the manufacturer and they CAN make me a new hose, but the approximate cost would be close to that of an entirely new complete pressure washer which is nuts to do.
So, I am sitting here with a perfectly good, but useless pressure washer pump and 6 hp engine unless someone out there can help direct traffic as to how to repair that sucker...any one have an good ideas as to how to repair that hose safely?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-09, 07:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Call around to local hydraulic shops. Most of them make their own hoses and have the crimping machine and crimps to repair your hose using your original coupling.

Old 03-16-13, 03:53 PM
Fixed pressure washer hose successfully

Hello after reading many posts about safety of pressure washer hose , I experimented with my 3100 psi honda pressure washer hose I tried to repair it before shelling out $80 @ home depot. And i did it successfully and it is working fine from months.
Here is what I did. Used steel wool, JB weld 2 part epoxy(it was rated at 3960 psi) & copper wires pulled of 18 gauge electric wire. Step 1: put a layer of JB weld on hole in hose and about 2-3 inch around it. Step 2: Marinate steel wool cut of same size with JB weld and wrap it on previous layer. Step 3: I wrapped 4 strings of copper wires ( not too tight but enogh to give it strength) around whole thing. Very close to each out in the 1 inch on leaking hole. Step 4: Give it another layer of epoxy so that nothing but epoxy is visible. Go over previous length of epoxy at least 1/2 to 3/4 inch exceeding each side.
That's it let it dry over night; I personally had another layer of steel wool & JB weld covering whole thing and bit over next day but my friend didn't . More isn't bad. Wolla we just saved $80 . I painted epoxy with black paint and it isn't even visible anymore other than a bump. Shouldn't take more than 15 mins once u have 3 pieces ready to go.

Old 03-17-13, 04:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Boparaiied!

It might be a good idea to inspect the repair every time you go to use your PWer! Personally I'd be leery of any repair that didn't include cutting out the bad spot and installing a new fitting. I like Cheese's advice to the OP about going to a hydraulic shop to get repairs or a short section to go from one fitting type to another. Before TSC started stocking the hydraulic hoses for my tractor I used to have them custom made at a hydraulic shop.