Honda mower run with no oil, rebuild or not?

Old 09-25-09, 07:46 PM
Honda mower run with no oil, rebuild or not?

I have a Honda HR215K1HXA Masters series lawn mower. I think the engine has seized up. Is it worth it dollar wise to rebuild it???

The mower is about 9 years old and looks to be in good condition. I think the previous owner forgot to put oil back in after an oil change or it drained out the bottom of the engine.

When I bought the mower it started on the first pull but had a very loud clicking/clanking noise immediately on start up. It only ran for about 1 second before it was turned off. Previous owner said it was running/cutting fine when he heard the loud noise and immediately turned it off.

So I get the mower home and ran it for another 1-2 seconds until I turned it off quickly. A few minutes later I try again and I can't turn the engine by pulling the chord. I can rotate the blade CCW about half a turn and pull the chord which follows by a hard stop and a clank.

Then I realize maybe the oil is low and sure enough, doesn't look like there is any in it.

So, anyone rebuilt a mower engine that has previously run with no oil until it seized up? What damage is expected? What's the likely hood it can be rebuilt for a reasonable $ price? Talked with a shop and a new engine GXV-140 engine would cost about $450.

It does leak oil from the bottom of the engine.

I've never tried to rebuild an engine before but considering it if it makes sense... I know itís good model mower, but what would it take to get it running?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-09, 08:01 PM
'IF' the eng has a'cast
iron' cylinder liner-it is rebuildable-if no'iron' linner '-disposable'
no oil on start up could damage the rod bearig surface.the crankshaft is replaceable,probably a rod also. but an aluminum cylinder wall-(no linner) is 'useless'-threrfore-disposeable

Old 09-26-09, 05:32 AM
You must disassemble the engine to determine the extent of damage. Personally, I would replace before I rebuild. I do not think the cost will be too different if there is much damaged.

I could be wrong but I do not think the GXV140 engine is being made anymore. Even if it is, $450.00 is TOO much money for that engine. The price of a new replacement engine should about $200.00 or less.

Get the COMPLETE engine number along with the mower number and call businesses, local and internet, to find a replacement.

Honda*Engine Search by Small Engine Warehouse

Honda*Engine Search by Small Engine Warehouse

Old 09-28-09, 08:35 AM
As far as I'm aware it is discontiuned. I would reccomend a GXV 160, I find the extra power is often usefull, and even here in rip off Britain you can get one for £200.

Alternatively you could get a briggs quantum 4.5-5.5hp, which would be cheaper, and should still be ok, although I don't think they are quite as good.

Old 10-03-09, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the comments back. I did finally find a little time to disassemble the engine and found a broken rod. Looks like I would need to replace the crank, piston rod, gasket, lower shaft seal at a minimum. As irony would I have it I do have a piston and rod from an older GCV-140 engine I took apart a while back for tinkering purposes.

Questions: I do see/feel 1 or 2 small vertical scratch marks in the cylinder. I have no experience here and don't know what would be acceptable. A while back I heard it is a good idea to hone the cylinder? Should I do this and get new piston rings? Any guidance would be appreciated.

As far as a replacement GCV-160/GXV-160 engine. How would I know if I can bolt it up to the existing frame? Also I need one with a direct drive shaft to reconnect to the hydrostatic transmission. Does Honda make these engines "interchangeable"? I did a quick look around and I can find one with a direct drive. I guess the BBC and cables should be able to swap over.

Old 10-04-09, 11:42 PM
If memory serves they should be the same, but check it out before you buy.

Old 10-08-09, 07:12 AM
And hopefully in the future, you will ALWAYS check the oil before starting any small engine. Think of the cost of these repairs as tuition.