Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman with a Kohler

AL

09-26-09, 10:32 AM   #1  
Craftsman with a Kohler

I've gotten a Craftsman rider in with a Kohler engine...model 917.272083 and model-CV490S-27508. The engine would crank but wouldn't start. It would start with starting fluid. I pulled the carburetor and sprayed with cleaner and then reassemblied. The engine now starts easy but after a couple of seconds it will start hunting pretty badly. The drive belt and the deck belt are either broken or removed. What I was wanting to know, with the engine completely unloaded, would that be a reason for the hunting? Also, I had to use the old gaskets.

Sponsored Links

TN

09-26-09, 10:59 AM   #2  
Problem could be carburetor or governor. I would clean the carburetor again. Does the carburetor utilize welch plugs to cover the transition ports and did you remove the welch plug and clean behind it?

AL

09-26-09, 12:19 PM   #3  
No, it doesn't have a welch plug. It's a walbro LMK carburetor.

TN

AL

09-26-09, 03:26 PM   #5  
Thanks Airman for the great website.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-26-09, 09:59 PM   #6  
Definitely still a carb problem. Just needs a bit more cleaning.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AL

09-27-09, 06:26 PM   #7  
Thanks for the encouragement Cheese. I'll try again, although it didn't "look" bad the last time. I've got another problem now...the starter just spins without pulling the bendix in. I disassemblied the bendix and I'm not familiar with this type of bendix. It seems to work off friction. Is anyone familiar with this type of bendix? Also, the flywheel teeth look fine.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-27-09, 10:31 PM   #8  
Does the gear jump up and hit the ring gear, or does it stay down? If it stays down, it's probably just a low battery.

God bless!

AL

09-28-09, 01:13 PM   #9  
Cheese,
I took the starter off the engine and when energizing the starter with a fully charged battery, the bendix just spins and dose not move up and down. The bottom of the bendix has a steel tapered threaded part...this goes inside the hard rubber part which is attached to the gear. Then there is a spring to keep tension on the gear. I know this sounds confusing but it is the only way I can describe it. The starter turns CCW when looking at the shaft end.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-29-09, 04:11 PM   #10  
Then the helix-threaded section of the starter shaft and bendix needs to be cleaned (not lubed) or else the starter is not spinning up fast enough to kick the gear up due to internal problems or low power from the battery.

It has to kick up to speed immediately to kick the gear up...it should start spinning so fast that it jumps in you hand when you hold it to test it. If not, it doesn't generate the inertia needed to send the bendix upwards.

God bless!

AL

09-29-09, 07:22 PM   #11  
Cheese, actually, I think you nailed it when you said the battery may be low. I put the starter back on and the battery was low. So I put a good charge in it and tried again and "bingo" it worked fine. Do you happen to know where I could find some information about the bendix? I'm having a hard time understanding the operation of this bendix. I need some detailed information. When I had the starter off I noticed that if I energized the starter, it would just spin. Then if I keep a little downward pressure on the gear, then it would jump up every time. That's when I decided to put it back on.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-29-09, 09:57 PM   #12  
It will just spin if it doesn't start up quickly enough (low battery). I don't know where you can find a detailed description of how it works, but it's very simple. Inertia is what makes the drive go up. The gear is sitting on a rubber clutch that rides on the metal bendix drive plate on the starter shaft. When the starter kicks on, the inertia of the shaft suddenly turning fast kicks the metal drive part of the bendix up the spiraled grooves of the armature shaft. This also forces the gear up. When it jams into the flywheel, the rubber clutch is squeezed and the gear turns the engine. By holding the gear down while turning the starter, you are removing inertia from the equation and just making the gear ride up the spiraled grooves manually.

God bless!

AL

09-30-09, 04:57 AM   #13  
Cheese...Thanks a lot for the information...now I'll get back to the carburetor problem.

Search this Thread