Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere 2320 tractor won't crank

09-27-09, 09:46 AM   #1  
John Deere 2320 tractor won't crank

Hi,

I'm new to the forums and know enough mechanically to be dangeruous so thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
I have a JD 2320 (2 years old) which unfortunately will not crank. I was mowing the lawn and hit a large patch of grass which killed the engine. When attempting to restart no luck. I checked the battery cables and grounds with no success. I took the cover off the area where the steering wheel sits as I could hear a noise from underneath. When turning the key between off and start I can tell the Glow Relay is making a strange sound almost as if it's "stuck". Do I need to replace this part or is this inidicative of something else? Thanks again!

Sponsored Links

IA

09-27-09, 10:20 AM   #2  
With the blades disengaged, the engine won't turn over or just won't start?

09-27-09, 10:27 AM   #3  
Hi,

With the blades disengaged the engine will not turn over at all. The Glow Relay makes a low groaning/whining sound for lack of any other word to describe it. Thanks!

Non-US

09-27-09, 05:12 PM   #4  
I'm thinking this is a diesiel??? Is it the glow plug relay wou're talking about?? If so it'll have nothing to do with cranking the engine.. However if the battery is low enough it may not have enough currant to keep it energized... I'd start with charging & load testing the battery... (don't just check the voltage with a meter,, It won't work..) Let us know what engine is in it if not a diesel.... Roger

09-27-09, 05:59 PM   #5  
Hi Roger,

It is indeed a diesel and I'm assuming it is the Glow Plug Relay but it says "Glow Relay" on the piece that is making the noise. I did try to jump the battery and when doing this it made a tick, tick, tick noise instead of the other noise. All coming from this Glow Relay under the "dash". Sorry for not mentioning in more detail. Please let me know if you need to know the exact engine and I can go take a look. Thanks for all your help.

Non-US

09-27-09, 08:35 PM   #6  
No I don't need the engine info... I looked it up after posting,, Nice little 3 cyl diesiel!!! I still think a battery or a connection.. especially with the ""tic, tic"" noise.. Charge & Load test the battery as per my last post & clean all connections & make sure all of them are tight... A diesiel needs a little more current from the battery to turn the engine than a gasser & sometimes booster cables are too small or too long to start it if the battery went bad on you,,, Check it out & let me know.... Roger

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-27-09, 10:28 PM   #7  
I agree, you either have a bad connection or bad battery.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

09-28-09, 09:08 AM   #8  
Assuming all the connections are good (I've cleaned thigs with a sander before if the connections are bad enough). What you need to do is find someone who has some 0 gauge jump leads, and either a big diesel car/van/truck or a big 12v battery (300cca plus should do it, but I use a 1000cca / 105ah 'leisure' battery for jumping and emergency backup power).

If it still not starting then I would suggest a blown relay. However I really think that it is a lack of power.

Put a voltmeter on the battery, turn the key and see what it says. If there is a bad connection it should stay around the 12v mark. If it goes down to 9v it should be ok, but is possibly suspect. If it goes down lower it is dead. Then put a voltmeter on the relay, repeat. If it is 9v or less you have a bad battery / connection. If it stays at 11-12 on the bat, but is low on the relay, then it is a bad connection.

Finally repeat the above, but at the starter solonoid and starter (only if the above showed normal (9+v throughout)).

09-28-09, 06:34 PM   #9  
I was looking for the "I'm embarrassed" icon but I do not see one. Sure enough it was a bad battery. I tried charging it for a period of time and no luck so I took it in. It was pronounced dead around 6:00 pm central standard time. Thanks for all the help and info. Great forum!

Non-US

09-28-09, 11:26 PM   #10  
You're running O.K. now??? Glad to hear it's working again,,, Roger

Search this Thread