Rally riding mower belt slips

Old 09-28-09, 09:32 AM
Rally riding mower belt slips

I noticed that my lower blade belt (not drive belt) is very worn and probably needs to be replaced. It is starting to slip.
I think I replaced this before (in the last year) so I'm wondering what might be causing extreme wear.
Also, can someone point me to how to replace this belt as I'm not sure I did it correctly. It involved removing some parts to get the belt in. Sorry, I don't have the model number right now.

This belt loops around 2 outside spindles and 3 inside for a total of 5.

THANKS for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-09, 09:46 AM
Did you use na OEM belt or an autoparts one that looked the same??? Just regular belts won't hold up... Also check the bearings on all the idlers & spindles.. Sorry I don't know the routing but if it lasted a year it must be O.K.... Roger

Old 09-29-09, 03:09 PM
I probably did use one from the Auto parts store. Do you know where can I get an OEM belt? Repair shop or online?

Also, do you know how I can test the bearings? Do they need to be greased or are they sealed? Hard to replace?

Thanks again

Old 04-12-10, 01:24 PM
still stuck under my cutting deck

Well, not using it all winter did not solve the problem.
Are there any tips for replacing the lower blade belt?
1) What kind of belt do I need to buy?
2) What do I have to remove to get the belt on?
3) How do I route the new belt

This is an older Rally 18.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Old 04-12-10, 01:45 PM
do you have the model number from the tag?

Old 04-13-10, 08:48 AM
Depending on the year & model, Rally was made by either Murray or AYP. American Yard Products makes many brands such as Poulan, Craftsman, Husqvarna and many others. If yours is an AYP, there is no problem getting OEM parts. If its a Murray, oem parts are harder to find as they went bankrupt in 2002. But you need to find the model number. It is usually found under the seat.

Old 04-14-10, 10:39 AM
GT2500AR- Roper

right where you said it woul be. Looks like it was made by Roper.

Old 04-14-10, 05:04 PM
Roper made many off brands and some Craftsman for a while.
Looks like you have a 44" deck.

Here is a link to a parts list.

Ordertree.com (1999 & Before)

Old 04-15-10, 10:17 AM
I emailed them. Any tips on replacing the belt? I'm not even sure I know how it threads on the spindles or how to tighten it.

Old 04-19-10, 03:40 PM
Its a puzzle

Does anyone know how to put the new belt on?
O
X
X
X
O

O = blade wheel

Old 06-23-10, 10:38 AM
Loose deck belt / flat idler fell off

I'm back.
I bought an OEM belt.
I found the belt diagram still etched on the deck after all these years!
Took the old belt off- I think it was the wrong size.
Managed to get the new belt on.

It was held "tight" by the spring on the flat idler (not sure it was tight enough). The flat idler was held in place by a bolt.

Not sure what happened but the belt was very loose and then the flat idler bolt fell off and the whole flat idler fell off.

I can get a new bolt and put it back on but I think this problem may reoccur unless I can get this belt tighter.

Any ideas please!!

Old 06-23-10, 02:06 PM
tensioner working?

I think what you are calling a "flat idler" is probably a tensioner pulley which is there to put tension on the belt by taking up the slack. The spring should be pulling the belt tight. Is it possible that the spring is bent or broken? You typically have to push a bit on the tensioner to move the pulley and release pressure on the belt to get it on or off. If the tensioner moves too easliy, the spring may be bad or disconnected. It is odd that the bolt holding the tensioner on came off because that suggests that it was loosened - probably by someone trying to get the belt installed. Since the bolt was loosened, it could be that someone also did not reconnect the spring correctly.

Good luck.

- Peter

Old 06-23-10, 03:04 PM
that someone is me

That would be me. However, I did tighten the bolt up quite a bit. I think the vibrations from the loose belt reallty knocked the tensioner around.

The spring seems OK. I removed it when I attached the new belt and although it was pretty difficult (tight) to put it back on it is possible that I attached it incorrectly. I'll have to take a closer look. Is this supposed to take up all the tension? Is it possible that one of the spindles is bent which is causing the belt to move wildly?

One last question, if the bolt is tightened completely after the spring has been attached correctly then what function does the spring serve after that point?

Thank you and I apologize for my ignorance.

Old 06-24-10, 12:53 PM
quick follow up

Got this back on and cranked the bolt tight after hooking the spring up. The tensioner seems to be working better but I still see a lot of play in the new belt when the blades are engaged. Anything I've missed?

Old 06-24-10, 01:44 PM
bolt is not for tension

The bolt holding the the tensioner to the deck is usually only for that purpose. How tight you tighten the bolt makes no difference to the tension of the belt. The spring is there to provide all the tension. Keep the bolt tight to keep the assembly together.

This is where the right size belt and working spindles/bearings comes into play. The tensioner can only do just so much work. You can check the spindles and bearings by trying to rock each pully by hand. If there is any play, then that spindle needs work.

- Peter

Old 06-25-10, 08:21 AM
Good to know. Thanks very much for your help and patience.

Search this Thread