Rear Engine Snapper

Old 10-01-09, 01:22 AM
Rear Engine Snapper

Hello all & Cheese! First time back in a long time! I have a neighbors Snapper Rear Engine Rider M250819BE, S# 95233944 that would not turn over at all. I have repaired the starter circuit but the safety circuit is giving me 'Grayer' hair! I have checked all three switches and the key switch. All checked out OK except for the Clutch/Gear NO/NC switch so I replaced it with a new one. I have replaced the module as well. PROBLEM: Sometimes cranks sometimes doesn't but now if I get up off the seat the circuit doesn't change and it keeps running? Has to be something simple but I just haven't been able to find it? All help appreciated! (Cheese: Hope all is well with you!)

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-09, 09:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi Ron! Good to see you again!

On some of these, I have found that the clutch switch under the mower is mounted on a thin metal bracket that sometimes bends back just enough to keep the switch from activating fully 100% of the time. Sometimes pressing the clutch very hard activates it and that would be an indicator that this is what's happening if it works with the clutch pedal pressed hard. If so, just bend the bracket a bit forward so that it makes better contact when the pedal is pressed.

Another thing I've seen on these is the connector to the safety interlock module gets crud and dirt packed in it which combines with moisture in the air on damp days and causes mixed results....usually erratic cranking habits.

Old 10-01-09, 11:43 PM
Snapper rider

Cheese great to see you crossed the magical 10,000 posts mark while I was away! Did you get a prize or thank you? I would sure like to say thanks for being kind enough and dedicated enough to help so many of us and reach this goal!!!
SNAPPER
After I sent the first post I realized none of the safety switches seemed to work except the deck switch! I could actually crank the engine in gear without the clutch! Not Good! After pondering the thing a while I decided to flip the clutch switch plug...all the safety stuff started working properly except for the seat? The switch tested good? The thing was working sometimes and sometimes not? I'm surprised I didn't think of bending the switch holder back as you suggest? That will solve the intermittent problem I'm sure? Any thoughts about the seat not working? Be aware I replaced the module and all the wires on the replacement were different colors from the wires on the mower? Could I have crossed two wires while making up the connection? Recap: Everything works except the seat and it tests as being 'Good"?

Old 10-03-09, 12:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the switch tests good, and the module has been replaced, that pretty much leaves a connection problem since it intermittently works. Usually I can isolate an intermittent problem to a certain area or component by catching it when it doesn't work, then wiggle and manipulate different controls and wires until I find a spot that consistently makes a change.

Old 10-04-09, 03:48 AM
Success with the Safety System !!!

Hello All & Chuck: As always "Thanks" for all the help! Looks like I'm back in business. As you suggested I jiggled the wires, spit on it, had prayer and went to bed! Next morning the seat was working just fine! The little ole lady I'm fixing it for will be thrilled. I would tell her it was Cheese and the Forum who figured it out but she doesn't have a clue what a Forum is and Cheese is for eating and catching rats! Thx Again, Ron

Old 10-04-09, 09:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it. Probably just a corroded connection. Glad to see you back in action!