Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1998 Toro 824 Powershift Snowblower

MN

10-01-09, 03:33 PM   #1  
1998 Toro 824 Powershift Snowblower

The blower is the 38540 model with the 8hp Tecumseh engine. When I started it for the first time today, the engine surged and never really leveled out. It ran best with the choke partially closed and surged the most with the choke fully opened. I also note that the interior of the muffler was visibly red hot, like charcoal in a barbecue.

So far I have put some carb cleaner through the choke butterfly and run some gas with sea foam for about 5 minutes. The surging problem is still there.

I would appreciate peoples' thoughts on what is likely causing the problem. The carb is stamped with the following number and letter combination: 5002J7G, and according to the Toro site is the Tecumseh 640052.

Thanks.

Last edited by sod; 10-01-09 at 05:21 PM.

Sponsored Links

NH

10-02-09, 07:33 AM   #2  
You need to remove the carb, take it apart and soak it in a carb cleaning solution for a couple of hours, rinse it off, blow out ALL the tiny holes with compressed air, replace the needle & seat & bowl gasket.
The red glowing muffler indicates it is running lean due to the carb being varnished up. Today's gas is good for only 30 days before it starts to turn to varnish.

MN

10-02-09, 06:11 PM   #3  
Thanks indypower1. I thought it might be the carb, but the glowing muffler had me concerned.

Search this Thread