Craftsman chainsaw won't start

Old 10-01-09, 10:21 PM
Craftsman chainsaw won't start

Hi,

I am working on my dad's Craftsman chainsaw model 358.351061. I can't remember what year he bought it, but know that he has used it maybe 3-5 times since he bought it and it has been sitting in the barn ever since. I want to say it is a mid to late 90's model.

When I started taking it apart, I noticed that the fuel line was already rotted out and couldn't tell how it was routed from the carb to the primer bulb. The primer bulb tells you which port goes to the tank and which one goes to the carb. It also has 2 ports on the carb. I have tried routing the fuel lines various ways, but still can't get it to start.

The carb is a Walbro. It probably needs rebuilding. I took the engine apart and saw lots of carbon deposits on the piston. I scrapped them off and put the engine back together. I tested the spark plug and it is getting fire from the ignition coil. I have not taken the muffler off to check the condition of the valves. I will take the muffler off to see what the valve looks like.

I am also using fresh gas and oil mixture. From what I can tell, the spark plug is the original and is an older Champion 7Y series. The plug still looks brand new, which I suspect would look that way, if the chainsaw hasn't been run in like 10-15 years.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-09, 12:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does the primer circulate fuel? If it hasn't been run in several years, it most certainly needs a carb kit, and possibly even a new carb. There are no valves to view through the muffler. Does it have good compression?

Old 10-04-09, 11:58 PM
Here is an update on the topic. I was able to get it cranked. I have fuel circulating through the primer bulb. Now, it will crank up, run for about 2-3 seconds, and then cut off. I can only get it to crank up if I prime it again and start over. My guess is that fuel isn't getting into the carb to keep it running.

Cheese, you may be onto something. I have been wondering if it needs a new carb, being that there aren't that many parts to replace. I will do a little more searching around to see what I can find.

Old 10-05-09, 11:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No telling until you open the carb and see how bad it is inside. Since you did manage to get it running, it may be that the carb is ok and just needs a kit and a good cleaning.