Mackinaw Log splitter Hydraulics

Old 10-02-09, 05:00 AM
Mackinaw Log splitter Hydraulics

I have a Mackinaw log splitter and need to find out about the hydraulic pump, there is no info on the pump. The cylinder is 4 inches in diameter, and 24 inches in length, the ram is 1.5 inches and it takes 10 seconds to fully extend and another 10 seconds to return. It is a single stage pump. Can anyone tell me how to figure the pressure of the pump,the gpm of the pump and what size engine I need to power it.

Any other information anyone has about Mackinaw Log splitters would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-09, 07:04 AM
You want to know how to figure out what you have or what you need to do the splitting?

The cylinder you have will do a lot. With 1800 psi, which is "middle of the road pressure", that splitter on a single edge wedge will apply about 11.5 tons of pressure. That will split just about anything.

From there you have to decide if you need more pressure to split stuff like knotty elm, which is a mess to do. If that's the case, get a higher pressure single stage or a two stage pump.

The ten seconds on the ram extension/retraction is very slow, though. That sounds like a worn out pump or bad control valve. If it still splits well, it could the control valve.

I've seen some splitters that claim 36 tons of splitting force with 12.5 HP engines. and 4 inch cylinders. Those would have to have the two stage pump.

Old 10-02-09, 07:28 AM
Thanks for your response. The hydraulics work fine, I may have to repower. Need to figure what size engine. Currently it has a 7hp Kohler and am having trouble with it (need to find time to tear it down and see what is going on) that is why I need to find out about the pump to size a new engine and it also would be helpful if I have future trouble. Thanks again.

Old 10-02-09, 09:14 AM
Most of the K series engines that small are going to be hard to find parts for, at least reasonable. If you get above the K181 (10 HP) there are a few more available, new and salvage as well. You can't beat them for longevity and easy to rebuild, though.

The thing about a log splitter is the hours you put on the engine, which aren't that many if you're just splitting for yourself.

What you said about your stroke time sounds like something I would look at, especially on a 24 inch stroke. I usually get about half that time, but I drive mine off a farm tractor.

Old 10-02-09, 02:45 PM
A good running engine turning 3500 to 3600 RPM is a must for your splitter.

The manual in the link is for a MTD manufactured splitter. The splitter is similar to the Mackinaw splitter. The manual goes through troubleshooting procedures from replacing filter to testing pump flow. See if your splitter has the same control valve adjustments as this one does.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Cub_...procedures.pdf