Fuel pump

Old 10-04-09, 03:51 PM
Fuel pump

what is the fuel psi in a walbro carb on a 18.5 briggs & stratton. I need to change to an electric fuel pump.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-09, 09:23 PM
The Pro's will correct me if I'm wrong,, but I think they are mostly flow & not a lot of pressure, maybe a pound or 2... Did you look into the cause of oil coming from your old one yet??? Roger

Old 10-05-09, 07:54 AM
I believe in was the slope of my yard. When i would cut with the dip stick on the down hill side it would let oil in the vacuum port which cause the engine to idle up and down until i was on level ground.

I was planning on capping the port in the dip stick tube and running a electric fuel pump. I was thinking of a Mr. Gasket mini electric pump which is rated at 2-7 psi. i will also need a fuel pressure regulator to keep it at 2 psi.

I was also thinking of finding a new vacuum source instead of the dip stick tube. Any ideas????

Old 10-06-09, 08:32 AM
Help

My theory on the oil leak was wrong. I cut today with the dip stick facing up hill. The oil start within minutes of engaging the blades. I was able to keep it running by feathering the choke in and out and eventually it over came the oil with the choke off or pushed in. i checked the oil before use and it was at the full line on level ground. I checked again when finished and it was below the add line. The mower does not seem to have lost power but I got figure where all the crank case pressure is coming from. Does the crab have anything to do with it???? It did smell like it was oil and was blowing blue smoke. I also noticed it had used alot fuel, but the oil does not smell like fuel???

Old 10-06-09, 05:57 PM
If this is an over head valve engine,, I'd be looking toward a blown head gasket... It'll leak into the pushrod area & put a lot of pressure in the crankcase... A Cylinder leakdown test will verify this.... Roger

Old 10-07-09, 08:26 AM
I have a buddy coming over this weekend to do a compression test. I will let you know what we find out.
Stephen

Old 10-07-09, 07:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A compression test will show worn rings, but won't necessarily show a blown head gasket.

Old 10-07-09, 07:29 PM
I have to agree with Cheese.. A compression test isn't what you need... A tool rental store will probably rent you a leakdown tester... You have to make sure you lock the flywheel @ TDC compression so it won't turn, than find where the air is coming from... Roger