Primer bulb

Old 10-10-09, 08:15 AM
Primer bulb

Dear Sirs,
I have a small MCCulloch chainsaw.(#3214). It starts fine but peters right out . It seems to run a couple of seconds longer with the choke but still sounds like its starving for gas and it peters right out. I have replaced the primer bulb and it will squirt fuel. My question is What role does the primer bulb play when the engine is running? I noticed my primer bulb never fills beyond the halwaypoint. I took the carb apart and cleaned it, checked the needle valve for sticking, loosened gas cap, and am getting ready to replace the fuel lines and fuel filter. I don't think I can get parts for it any more. Thanks JoeA

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-09, 08:37 AM
The 3214 number is a basic model number and your saw could be on of many different 3214 models. Your chainsaw should have a tag with a model number on it. The number will be similar to 11-600032-69.

Look at the carburetor and post the brand and model number from it. It could be a Walbro brand with a model number similar to WT 438 or a Zama with a model number similar to C1QM36.

Parts are available for you saw to my knowledge.

Primer bulb function depends on carburetor brand and model. On most the primer bulb on is used to fill the metering and pump chamber with fuel to for quicker starting. A primer bulb that has air in it indicates an air leak. A partially filled bulb is not always a concern.

Old 10-10-09, 06:47 PM
The serial # looks to be 11-017929, and the model# is 600032-32. I'm going to have to look a little deeper to get the carb information. Thanks

Old 10-10-09, 06:48 PM
Did you install a carb kit when you cleaned the carb??? If not I suggest you do, as I find cleaning a carb without a kit is kinda like washing your feet with your socks on,,, Sometimes it'll work,, but most times it doesen't, LOL... If you install a kit, find what you have for a carb as Airman has suggested & go to their website,,, they have excellent service manuals online!!!! Good Luck,, Roger

Old 10-11-09, 07:32 AM
I finally found the carb #. It is a ZAMA M27 36P C1Q. I can't seem to find the website to find a rebuild kit for it. Thanks

Old 10-11-09, 08:02 AM
Try USA Zama : Service Tips I think that will help... Take your carb to any small engine place & they'll have a kit for it..

Old 10-11-09, 08:18 AM
Thanks hopkinsr2,
I looked at some of that technical data and now I'm wondering if I have the lines crossed on the primer bulb. According to their explanation, the one marked "in" on the bulb should be going to the carburetor and the other side of the bulb (outlet) should be going to the fuel tank. Probably wont fix my problem but at least I'll learn that in means out and vice versa.