Toro Backpack blower

Old 10-11-09, 01:02 PM
Toro Backpack blower

Hello all Thanks for all of your help always but now I could use some help with my old Toro but very powerful.. It just wont start and it has a nice spark and decent compression.. I tried adding an ounce of oil to the plug hole and it does start right up and very powerful so I took it apart and checked the piston which was nice and shiny.. Any help will be appreciated and thanks for everything..

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-09, 04:51 PM
I'm assuming this is some kind of a 2 stroke??? With no model or serial #'s to go by,, I would rebuild the carb with a new kit to the carb manufactures specs... Get you're carb builder (Zama, Walbro etc) & go to their website for the carb overhaul specs... Check the fuel lines & the filter & all the bolts around the engine for leaks or being loose... Did you use a new gasket when you checked the piston??? Roger

Old 10-11-09, 05:13 PM
If adding the oil to the cylinder got you a good startup, you have a compression problem. If the piston and cylinder are both in good shape (no scoring) I would put a new set of rings on the piston, fine hone the cylinder and be good to go.

However, when you get the new set of rings (providing you go this route), get the ring gap spec for that engine. Where you buy the rings should have it. Then use a dowel rod to position the ring at three points of the stroke down the cylinder - top, middle, bottom. Check the ring gap at each point. It's not uncommon for the lower ones to be wider than the top, but they need to fall within an acceptable range.

If you are way out on the lower gap measurements and an oversize piston isn't available, you may have to scrap the engine or get a new cylinder for it.

Old 10-12-09, 07:54 AM
Toro Backpack blower

Thanks for the help and it is a model 30941.. The piston looks perfect but the rings dont have the spring that they should have, I was able to push in the piston too easily so I guess it is the rings.. Thanks alot for all of your help..