Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stalling MTD Mower w/B&S Quantum XTE 5HP

IL

10-12-09, 01:26 PM   #1  
Stalling MTD Mower w/B&S Quantum XTE 5HP

I have a MTD Mower with a Briggs & Stratton Quantum XTE 5HP motor. Ever since I had the throttle cable replaced the mower has not run correctly. It starts up immediately if the engine is cold. However, after several passes (a few minutes) over my lawn, the engine begins to sputter and then stalls. I am only able to restart it after several hours or the next day. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links

TN

10-12-09, 02:14 PM   #2  
It is fairly common for defective ignition coils to fail when they are hot but work normal for periods of time after cooling. Check to see if the ignition coil is producing spark when engine dies. This can be done by installing an inexpensive inline spark tester to see if ignition is taking place when engine quits. If no spark, the ignition coil is the problem.

If you need additional help please post the engine model, type and code number.

Testers like the one in the link below are what I like best. They are easy to see. You may find one at an auto parts store.

Tool Aid 23900 In-Line Ignition Spark Checker

IL

10-12-09, 06:40 PM   #3  
Thanks. I'll give it a try.

IL

11-12-09, 02:56 PM   #4  
I actually replaced the ignition coil, but have the same problem. I started the mower as soon as I was done replacing the coil and it ran for less than 5 minutes before stalling and not starting again. Any other ideas? Here is the engine information. 12F802 111901 94102157

OH

11-12-09, 03:24 PM   #5  
It could be creating a vacuum in the fuel tank. Try loosening up the gas cap when it starts to sputter, and see if that helps

IL

11-15-09, 09:22 PM   #6  
[I actually replaced the ignition coil, but have the same problem. I started the mower as soon as I was done replacing the coil and it ran for less than 5 minutes before stalling and not starting again. Any other ideas? Here is the engine information. 12F802 111901 94102157

QUOTE=Airman;1633392]It is fairly common for defective ignition coils to fail when they are hot but work normal for periods of time after cooling. Check to see if the ignition coil is producing spark when engine dies. This can be done by installing an inexpensive inline spark tester to see if ignition is taking place when engine quits. If no spark, the ignition coil is the problem.

If you need additional help please post the engine model, type and code number.

Testers like the one in the link below are what I like best. They are easy to see. You may find one at an auto parts store.

Tool Aid 23900 In-Line Ignition Spark Checker[/QUOTE]

Search this Thread