Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need some help with a Snowblower engine.

NY

10-13-09, 02:55 PM   #1  
Need some help with a Snowblower engine.

Good evening everyone. I was just given a Toro Snowblower, model #521. It has a Tecumseh engine with an electric start. The first thing, I did was drain the oil(not much came out). I then added the appropriate amount. Now there is too much, so I will have to fix that dilemma. Next, the gas in the tank was bad. I took the tank off, and drained it attempting to clean it out as best as possible. Next, I attempted to start it. I used some starter fluid. It went for a split second, then stopped. The happened a bunch of times. I took the bowl off the bottom of the carb., bone dry. and gunked up. So, I made the decision to get a new carb. for this thing. Any other thoughts and/or ideas for this project? Also, on the bottom of the carb. there was a black flexible tube connected to it. That was dry rotted and I was unable to reconnect it. Is this critical? If so, thoughts on how to remedy it? THANKS!!!!

Sponsored Links

IA

10-13-09, 07:25 PM   #2  
If the throttle shaft isn't too loose, I would try cleaning the old carb first before worrying about a new one. Apparently it's an older engine and there's no point having a carb worth more than the engine.

NY

10-14-09, 05:26 PM   #3  
Posted By: marbobj If the throttle shaft isn't too loose, I would try cleaning the old carb first before worrying about a new one. Apparently it's an older engine and there's no point having a carb worth more than the engine.
Well, I tried to clean the carb, it was SHOT. I picked up a new one at my local dealer, swapped it out and the sucker started right up. Seems to be running pretty good. Thanks!

IA

10-14-09, 07:42 PM   #4  
However, if the carb is shot, I would get a new one.

Search this Thread