Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman 42 inch snowblower breaking belts in deep snow

10-14-09, 07:32 PM   #1  
Craftsman 42 inch snowblower breaking belts in deep snow

This is a 2002 model #468.24853 2 stage blower that works great in light snow but as soon as you get into deeper snow it snaps the belt. The bel is a p/n 47846.
I can hand turn the belt from the pulley under the 20hp craftsman tractor model#917.272248. Both tractor and blower were purchased together new and have worked well untill last winter. I have adjusted belt tension to different levels more to less and snapped three belts while trying this.
Can you help?

Sponsored Links

TN

10-15-09, 08:10 AM   #2  
I am not knowledgeable of this or any snow equipment but I will offer this. Quality belts are essential. I would recommend always using OEM belts or a quality aftermarket belt, never automotive.

I assume you followed the owner’s manual for belt adjustment, I gave a link below if you do not have one. Closely inspect everything associated with the belt, pulleys, belt keepers, etc. for smoothness of operation, wobble, defects, etc. Inspect all movable joints that effect blower raising and lowering for wear and looseness. I am thinking belt tension could have changed by a worn bearing surface.

Sorry I cannot offer more.

You had a number transposed in the model number, should be 486.24853.

Owner’s manual:
http://www.managemyhome.com//mmh/lis...M/L0301069.pdf

PA

10-15-09, 08:48 AM   #3  
Airman covered it very thoroughly, all I can say is that he is correct in saying all belts are not equal. Automotive belts are not designed for the shock loads seen on outdoor power equipment. If you are using Craftsman belts and all the other things Airman mentioned are ok, then the Craftsman belt is faulty.

Search this Thread