Question about drive belt on Toro 421 Snow Blower

Old 11-10-09, 10:35 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question about drive belt on Toro 421 Snow Blower

I'm currently looking at a used Toro 421 snow blower w/ 5 hp engine, 21" cutting path

I dont know a whole lot about the unit, other than what I've stated. Its older and from what I can tell probably goes back to the 80's. The owner is looking to get rid of it because he says that it keeps snapping drive belts. Says otherwise the unti runs fine. Can anyone give me any pointers as to what to look for that would cause it constantly snap drive belts? I dont want to buy a headache, but if its something easy, then it would be a huge score. I'm more than mechanically inclined, I've rebuilt engines in cars but I havent done much of anything in small engine repair. Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Old 11-11-09, 07:35 AM
K
nada? no one has any pointers? I cant imagine the mechanics in a snowblower vary so greatly that there arent some general things to look for.....I'm going to think outloud and anyone can correct me if then want to.....

From what I can tell the drive belt is connected directly to a pulley on the engine and from there directly to a pulley on the transmission. Transmission is direct drive, as in no clutch, in order to stop the unit you need to stop the belt, right? so there is a "brake" that is depressed on the belt to stop the unit from moving. Correct me if I'm wrong. So to me if this thing is constantly shredding belts maybe the brake is worn? any chance a misaligned pulley would cause this? Seems to me a misaligned pulley would just cause the belt to pop off. anyone else? got anything better to consider?

Old 11-11-09, 07:05 PM
It's a 421 with a 5 hp engine?? Why am I thinking this should have a 4 hp on it?? Is it possible the previous owner(s) may have swapped an engine ?? If not look it up on the Toro site,, someone probably changed a belt once & either bent or removed the belt guides or fingers somewhere... Good luck,, Roger

Old 11-11-09, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2
It's a 421 with a 5 hp engine?? Why am I thinking this should have a 4 hp on it?? Is it possible the previous owner(s) may have swapped an engine ?? If not look it up on the Toro site,, someone probably changed a belt once & either bent or removed the belt guides or fingers somewhere... Good luck,, Roger
My thoughts exactly. 421 means 4 hp 21" cut.
To be sure, post model number so we can see exactly what you have.
Also, for where you live, 4 hp will be working it's butt off for the snow you get. Too under powered.

Old 11-12-09, 06:04 AM
K
Well its a craigslist thing...I'm just going by what the seller is posting...I'm not exactly a snow blower expert. Actually this is the first year that I'm even entertaining the idea of getting one, but unfortunately I'm on a very limited budget. I'd love to roll down to Home Depot or Lowes and walk out with a 7-10 hp blower...but thats just not going to happen. I have to stick with whats available in the used market. So you think that a 4hp is too under powered? Unfortunately I'm a novice at best when it comes to this stuff....I'm just looking for something that has a decent sized cutting path and is self propelled (I live on a corner lot that is very hilly and I need to clear the street around my property because the town I live in is very lazy) I figured a 4-5 hp would suit my needs....I mean we get snow every year but I cant recall the last time we got anything over 12 inches in one shot, plus I would never wait for the storm to end to start blowing the snow out of the way. Anyone care to school me or direct me to a good resource on how to select a snow blower? I see plenty of blowers in the area that are 10 hp...but at the 400-600 that people want for them...I just cant swing that...and clearing 6 feet of the street in front of my house (roughly a 150 foot section) is growing tiresome on my body.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: