Honda GCV160, no compression

Old 10-17-09, 03:57 PM
Honda GCV160, no compression

I picked up a clearance Troybilt pressure washer w/the GCV160 at Lowes. It has no compression. I pulled the cam cover, the valves appear to be opening/closing correctly and the engine seems to rotate smoothly. Timing belt looks good and there is a decent spark. Looking for some tips on what to else to check.

Thanks.

Last edited by mmmmattd; 10-17-09 at 04:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-09, 05:46 PM
If you just bought it,,I would return it for warranty.... If Lowes only sells the stuff.. Take it to you"re local Honda dealer with the reciept... Don't take too much stuff apart as they may tell you that it was caused by you taking stuff apart...Good Luck.... Roger

Old 10-17-09, 07:29 PM
It was marked down to $30 with a 30 day return, figured I'd mess around with it and see if was salvageable. It otherwise looks new, I guess someone ran it until it broke then returned it.

Old 10-18-09, 01:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Probably a broken connecting rod. For $30, it might be worth fixing. I'm not a fan of troybilt stuff to put it mildly, but it might be worth fixing. Check to see if the piston is moving.

Old 10-18-09, 03:21 PM
The timing belt could have jumped timing. On page 3-4 of the manual (extract) below it shows how to verify cam timing marks with the piston at TDC and the valves closed.

http://www.honda-engines-eu.com/en/images/992.pdf

Old 10-21-09, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the info, will check tomorrow morning. Not a bad deal, paid $60 for two Troybilt pressure washers, this one with the Honda motor and a second with a Briggs with a fouled spark plug that started right up with a fresh plug and carb clean.