Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

18hp Briggs spits gas out carburetor:

10-19-09, 11:48 AM   #1  
18hp Briggs spits gas out carburetor:

I have a 18hp B&S model#422447 type#1280-02 code#9510195A on a Coleman generator that I am trying to get back in running order. I have got it to start and run but it is rough and it spits gas back through the carb into the air cleaner element. I have a parts book from the B&S web page but not sure what the problem is or where the best place to start is. Please advise. Have been reading through some of the post but have no come across my problem yet. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-19-09, 07:35 PM   #2  
What is the history of the engine? Sitting up unused for years? Exposed to the elements? Is there compression on both cylinders? Are both cylinders firing? Did you disassemble and clean the carburetor?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-23-09, 06:15 AM   #3  
Engine has sat up for over a year. I have not taken the carb apart yet just sprayed with cleaner to see if I could get it to start. It did have a strong varnish smell when air cleaner cover was removed. I have not checked compression. Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for my delay I have been out of town. TM

Search this Thread