Power washer problems

Old 10-23-09, 03:14 PM
Power washer problems

I have a power washer with a Honda GX390 motor that has been seating in my garage for the last whole season. Today I drained the old gas; changed the plug drain and replaced oil. Went to start it and the recoil starter was giving me some trouble, at first it would simply get stuck and it would take a count of about 20 seconds before I could pull on it again; next it starter pulling back with "fury" almost as if a spring or something was pulling it as the motor was trying to start. I have yet to got it started looking for some advise. Beer 4U2Beer 4U2

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-09, 07:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Was it tipped to the side when in storage? Sounds like the cylinder has gas and/or oil in it. Remove the spark plug and pull it slowly and see if oil comes out the spark plug hole. Don't let the plug wire get close enough to metal to spark in case gas comes out the plug hole. (flash/boom!)

Old 10-24-09, 07:15 AM
:reply

Thanks for the tip! It was not on its side; no oil or gas came out of the spark plug hole when I changed it out but yet and still when I pull on the recoil starter the resistance increases to the point it locks. And occasionally the cord yanks back so hard (which is not suppose to) it could actually hurt someone. Thinking about taking it to an expert!

Old 10-24-09, 11:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That sounds like a sheared flywheel key. I have never seen that problem on one of those engines, but it could be.

Old 10-25-09, 10:44 AM
:update

Thanks for all your help; got it started and worked it for about two hours, however, although it runs and has decent pressure it only runs fully choked! The minute I try to allow the engine to breathe it cuts off. I am thinking something in the carburetor! Any idea where I can find a diagram for it? Like to at least open it, clean it and try again! Thanks!

Old 10-25-09, 07:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That does sound like a carburetor problem. Just take the bowl off and clean it out... it's pretty simple.