Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

kohler and the rain

10-26-09, 11:32 AM   #1  
kohler and the rain

My Kohler command 15hp is froze up it will not turn over. I suspect it got rain in the cylinder. I have soaked the plug hole with penetraiting oil with no luck any ideas how i can break the engine loose with minimum breakdown of engine

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-26-09, 08:51 PM   #2  
Put a breaker bar on the flywheel bolt and try to turn the engine back and forth... even if it's just a hair. Then you can gently work it back and forth trying not to break a ring until it is free. Be generous with the penetrating oil. Sometimes it's just a little surface rust holding it fast, other times it's too far gone. If you can't get it to do anything, you may have to remove the head to view the damage. Did you leave the air filter cover off?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-27-09, 12:37 PM   #3  
thank you for the reply. No covers were left of the engine the only water that could have got in would have went through the exhaust which is also intact. I will try the breaker bar and see what kind of results i get. Thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-30-09, 11:20 AM   #4  
Hang on...

Are you sure it's water? If not, it probably isn't. A common thing to happen with these engines is the flywheel magnets come loose from the underside of the flywheel and stick to the alternator. If this is the problem, using a breaker bar may crush them and then you'll have to buy a flywheel. ($$$$$) Try taking the flywheel off first and see if this is the problem. If the magnets are loose but not broken, leave them just as they are and note their orientation because they must be re-glued to the inside of the flywheel in the exact positions with the exact orientation of the poles in order for them to work. If this is necessary, clean the inside of the flywheel with sandpaper, then use JBweld to reattach the magnets.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread