Air Vane

Old 10-30-09, 07:11 AM
Air Vane

I just got a Craftsman edger from a yard sale. It runs and starts well but it revs high all the time. After removal of the shroud I can see all the governor control rods are home made so I imagine there may be an issue there. I need to know how it's supposed to be set up so I can try to duplicate a properly working governor. It is a 4 hp horizontal Briggs Stratton engine with 095212 model number, thanks in advance for any help.
Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-09, 08:16 AM
Group Moderator
You might get better results if the title of your thread means something. "Air vane" does not seem to have anything to do with your edger. A title like "govenor linkage problem" might get better results.

Old 10-30-09, 10:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It has an air vane governor.

I suggest taking your model, type, and code #s from the engine to a small engine shop and get the correct linkages for the engine. It will be nearly impossible to fabricate duplicates of the originals with nothing to go on. For a few bucks you can save the aggravation and get it right, not close to right.

Old 10-30-09, 12:48 PM
???

Thanks for the ideas, I actually got the idea for air vane from threads found on the net. The mechanical or centrifugal governor was called just than and the air door device was caller an air vane. I got that at the BS website.
Bill

Old 11-04-09, 12:24 PM
Results for speed control

I actually tried the lawnmower shop or 2 to be exact, one wanted to sell me an old mower saying it might have the needed pieces and the other didn't feel a governor was all that important so long as it ran and cut grass. I then tried a search on the net and after many searches found an article about small engines for hobbies and radio controlled cars and planes. Anyway a guy had posted the exact pics needed to see what was wrong with my machine. I corrected the placement and adjusted the governor spring and it actually works as designed. Just keep searching and someone will have what you might need.
Bill

Old 11-05-09, 12:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it fixed up. One shop told you a governor wasn't important, huh? Lol... I'd remember which one told you that when you need to take an engine to the shop, and don't take it to that one.

Search this Thread