Older Troybuilt no spark

Old 10-30-09, 12:37 PM
Older Troybuilt no spark

I left my older Troybuilt Horse with 6hp Tecumseh in the rain and it wouldn't start after. No spark. I added an electronic ignition module to by pass the points and condenser but still no spark. Thinking now it might be the coil. How do I check to see if the coil is good?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-09, 10:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Coil under the flywheel? If so, I don't think they make electronic modules to work with that unit. HAve you removed the coil or loosened any of the bolts that hold the coil or the bracket it bolts to?

Old 10-31-09, 06:48 AM
Troybuilt won't start

I took the wire off that holds the coil to pull the coil up and inspect it for physical damage. I did not loosen the bolts as I thought that might change the timing. Now that you say the electronic ignition doesn't work with this model I'm starting to think it could possibly be the condenser. Nothing changed between when it was running and when it wouldn't start except being left in the rain.

Old 10-31-09, 11:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wet points won't work. I'd put a new set of points and condenser in it, do not move the coil or the bracket it mounts on, or loosen the bolts that holds it or the bracket. Doing so will mess up the settings and you will need special tools to get it back in the proper position. You said you pulled the coil up to inspect for damage?? If so, the settings are lost.

Old 10-31-09, 06:50 PM
Rats.
How do it reset the coil?

Old 10-31-09, 07:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look carefully at it and you should be able to see the marks where it was originally installed. Try to use these marks to put it back in time first. If that doesn't work, you'll need a dial indicator to reset it.

Old 11-01-09, 07:51 AM
Still no spark. How do I check the coil for condition?

Old 11-02-09, 01:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You put on new points, condenser, and set them, make sure they are working properly with an ohmmeter, make sure the coil is set properly and the spark plug and coil wiring is good. If all is good and still no spark, the coil is bad. Do you have an ohmmeter? You can measure the internal resistance of the coil.

Old 11-03-09, 06:15 AM
There are three wires coming from the coil. One large that goes to spark plug and two smaller wires. One of which is long and one is short. How do I check the resistance. I do have a meter but not sure how to use it.