Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs Starter

GA

10-30-09, 02:11 PM   #1  
Briggs Starter

Is there an easy way to remove the C-ring style locking ring from the drive end of a Briggs starter without the special Briggs tool? I need to replace the pinion gear. My Twin 2 flattened all the cogs on it after only 3 mos service of the replacement starter.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-30-09, 02:25 PM   #2  
Tap the metal disk down, then use a small flathead screwdriver to pry the clip up from one end around to the other. Install a genuine briggs gear, not an aftermarket one. Make sure it comes in a briggs package. The aftermarket ones do exactly what yours did in a short time. Briggs ones last years, sometimes the life of the engine. Then use a 3/8 socket to tap the clip back down on the shaft and squeeze it with pliers enough for it to fit back into the recess on the disk on top of the starter.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

GA

10-30-09, 03:03 PM   #3  
OK, I got the C ring off the shaft but the retainer seems to be stuck. I don't want to just go prying around on for fear of damaging something. Is there a way to release it? As far as the gears go the one the dealer gave me for replacement was loose, not in a package at all.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-30-09, 10:47 PM   #4  
That's from a bulk pack, not original most likely. If it doesn't have the briggs symbol on it, it's aftermarket. The retainer just pulls off, but sometimes they get caught on the ring groove a bit. Grab it with pliers and wiggle and pull/pry until it comes off.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

GA

10-31-09, 02:23 PM   #5  
No "Briggs" or any kind of mark on these gears.Thanks for the heads up, I'll take these back and get genuine Briggs in marked package. This crazy retainer is really stubborn, still don't have it off yet. Glad the grass has slowed down growing around here, haha.

GA

11-04-09, 08:57 PM   #6  
The folks at the parts store confirmed that my gears were actually from a Briggs "5 pack". They have chamferred edges that contact the gear ring. I finally was able to pry off the retainer on the drive and got the new gear installed. Starting fine, thanks for the help!

Search this Thread