surging on my 23 hp Kohler

Old 10-31-09, 06:08 AM
surging on my 23 hp Kohler

I have a craftsman tractor with 23 hp Kohler ovc engine. I bought it new about 7 years ago. It has about 250 hours on it. The engine just started surging recently. It is a CV675S spec 75544 engine, serial 3207306511. I changed the plugs and serviced the air cleaner(i keep the engine serviced on regular 25 hour intervals). What would cause the surging and how do i fix it? I was told carb has varnish. Do i need to remove the carb or will carb cleaner do the job?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-09, 06:16 AM
It is likely varnish in the fuel system. Try Sea Foam (from autoparts stores/Walmarts, etc.) before you take it apart.

You should see results in about a half hour of running time. If that doesn't do it, then you'll have to take it apart and use a bath cleaner on it.

Old 10-31-09, 06:25 AM
Is that added to fuel tank like techron? or is it a spray

Old 10-31-09, 06:48 AM
A dirty carburetor most often causes surging. It could be governor related but I would go for the carburetor. You could add a product called Sea Foam to the gas and it may clean up the carburetor and stop the surging. Cleaning the carburetor is the best method to correct surging and the manual shows how.

Service manual link, see Section 5 page 5.7:
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinec.../tp_2450_c.pdf

Note:
I was writing my post and did not see marbobj's post. Sea Foam is liquid and is added to the gas per directions on can. I prefer spray carburetor cleaners over bath type unless the carburetor is severly varnished which I doubt yours is.

Last edited by Airman; 10-31-09 at 06:53 AM. Reason: add info
Old 11-01-09, 02:36 AM
If it is the kind of set up I am thinking of then:

Before you tear down the carburetor, just try to drain the bowl. Sometimes water collects there and all you have to do is turn a screw and drain the water out of the carburetor. All you need is a long screwdriver to reach the drain screw. It works for me all the time. See Fig. 5-39 on page 55 of the service manual link posted earlier.